The Student Room Group

Possible contraction of oral herpes during lab work?

My friend came into uni when she had an outbreak of her oral herpes, I noticed something on her lip but didn’t realise it was a break out, she also didn’t tell me anything about it and I just sort of realised a few days later that it could be her breakout I didn’t have intimate contact with them, we have only been together at uni, I only remember hugging her once during this time and this was BEFORE I even realised she was breaking out on her lip, when I did come in that day I noticed marks on her lip but I completely forgot she has the virus, it didn’t come to mind that her marks were that, and surely she should’ve told me she was breaking out? I noticed a few marks on my upper lip, bearing in mind I have never contracted the virus before in my life, I don’t know if I’m just being paranoid? Surely they should’ve at least told me they were breaking out in that week? All they did was cover it with a sticker apparently but I wasn’t told anything? I’ve also just continued my days as normal with other people and my activities because I don’t know if it is just paranoia? Also I don’t know if it’s just stress that’s making me paranoid, my immune system is very weak because of stress from my studies, I don’t know
Reply 1
It is estimated that 70% of the resident adult citizens in the UK and around 90% of USA located citizen adults aged 50+ have oral herpes.
Many have had it since the time that they were 6 years old or even younger but have no idea of this fact because they have never been tested or noticed a breakout in decades.

Did you come into direct contact with your friend's mouth or some of her saliva at the time of her breakout?
Share a cup/drink bottle with her?
Use some of her lipstick, vaseline, a water fountain or anything else that touched her mouth?

If not, you are very unlikely to have contracted oral herpes at uni from her at the time of that breakout.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
It is estimated that 70% of the resident adult citizens in the UK and around 90% of USA located citizen adults aged 50+ have oral herpes.
Many have had it since the time that they were 6 years old or even younger but have no idea of this fact because they have never been tested or noticed a breakout in decades.

Did you come into direct contact with your friend's mouth or some of her saliva at the time of her breakout?
Share a cup/drink bottle with her?
Use some of her lipstick, vaseline, a water fountain or anything else that touched her mouth?

If not, you are very unlikely to have contracted oral herpes at uni from her at the time of that breakout.

she knows she has oral herpes as she told me ages ago, she said it was contracted from her mother some time ago. She told me she can feel it come up if she breaks out and uses a cover when she sees the marks, but I never saw a break out up until recently and I figured it out myself. I also have family members with it but they keep it under control with medication. I just don't think it's ok that she knows she has oral herpes, and although I was told this months ago, she did not let me know she had a break out a few weeks ago, I obviously noticed the marks on her lip but I didn't think anything of it then it suddenly came to my mind a few days later? And i've been trying to think if i did or didn't come into direct contact like you've said because i dont think i did, i don't know, but we were obviously way close in proximity because we are together at uni/lab, i hugged her, that's the only thing i can remember but i dont know. i noticed i had a few marks on the top of my lip and now i have a sore throat, i don't know if i'm just being super paranoid so i dont know if its all psychological. I've never contracted the virus in my life so to be exposed like this and not even have a warning is really upsetting me to be honest
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
to be exposed like this and not even have a warning is really upsetting me to be honest

You are overreacting. Herpes is spread by direct contact. Unless you touched her blisters, you are fine.
Reply 4
I understand your point of view but I don’t think I’m over reacting because I’m upset I was exposed to a viral infection without a warning? HSV isn’t something like the flu, it’s a lifelong virus, and if I’ve been exposed to it I would of at least wanted to be informed to take precaution during that week

Original post by black tea
You are overreacting. Herpes is spread by direct contact. Unless you touched her blisters, you are fine.
Reply 5
I understand your point of view but I don’t think I’m over reacting because I’m upset I was exposed to a viral infection without a warning? HSV isn’t something like the flu, it’s a lifelong virus, and if I’ve been exposed to it I would of at least wanted to be informed to take precaution during that week

You are exposed to a lot of things in life without warning...

What precautions do you think you need to be taking?
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
You are exposed to a lot of things in life without warning...

What precautions do you think you need to be taking?

I could've minimised my contact if I was told at the time of the breakout?
Reply 7
I could've minimised my contact if I was told at the time of the breakout?

Unless you are kissing her on the lips, what contact do you need to be minimising? Herpes is not transmitted via droplets, it is transmitted via direct contact.

Quick Reply

Latest