The Student Room Group

Confused about my potential career options

Starting Bsc biomedical science soon. Planning on doing a masters in immunology afterwards. I want a career where I work in a lab. What are my possible career options?
In regards to lab roles, these usually fall into 2 broad categories: technician and research. And the arenas these take place in are principally academia and industry. I'm not sure as to the exact nature of biomed as I've heard stuff to do with portfolios and the degree being accredited which I have no personal experience or knowledge of because my degree and PhD are in a different STEM field that doesn't require portfolios or accreditation.

I would say for starters to keep your options open and not to definitively plan your entire career path just yet before you've started uni. There were many many people in my cohort who started their degree thinking they were going to work in science and in a lab and then towards the end found they hated the idea of that more than anything else. But assuming you want to work in a lab I would of course recommend research over technician because the former is better paid, more interesting, much greater job opportunities, requires higher skills and knowledge etc. And I would also personally recommend industry over academia: the bureaucracy in academia is horrendous and the competition for lecturer and post doc positions is insane. Moreover, post docs don't offer job stability as once the contract funding runs out you have to find a new job, and if you do eventually want to go into industry it's recommended to not do more than 2-3 post docs otherwise it's seen as a type of career suicide where you're then only eligible to continue in academia. If you do want to go into research then I would strongly recommend a PhD as they're becoming increasingly common a requirement and it means you will gain significant research experience as well as straight away starting on a higher salary and position than someone who doesn't have one. There are researchers at my company who have been here significantly longer than me, but some of them don't have PhDs and I joined the company on a higher salary than them, so bear that in mind.

In essence, if you want to go via the academia route it's usually something like:
undergrad --> masters --> PhD --> 1st post doc --> 2nd post doc --> junior lecturer --> senior lecturer etc.

The industrial route is typically simpler:
undergrad --> masters --> PhD --> researcher in industry.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the quick and informative reply! appreciate it!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
In regards to lab roles, these usually fall into 2 broad categories: technician and research. And the arenas these take place in are principally academia and industry. I'm not sure as to the exact nature of biomed as I've heard stuff to do with portfolios and the degree being accredited which I have no personal experience or knowledge of because my degree and PhD are in a different STEM field that doesn't require portfolios or accreditation.

I would say for starters to keep your options open and not to definitively plan your entire career path just yet before you've started uni. There were many many people in my cohort who started their degree thinking they were going to work in science and in a lab and then towards the end found they hated the idea of that more than anything else. But assuming you want to work in a lab I would of course recommend research over technician because the former is better paid, more interesting, much greater job opportunities, requires higher skills and knowledge etc. And I would also personally recommend industry over academia: the bureaucracy in academia is horrendous and the competition for lecturer and post doc positions is insane. Moreover, post docs don't offer job stability as once the contract funding runs out you have to find a new job, and if you do eventually want to go into industry it's recommended to not do more than 2-3 post docs otherwise it's seen as a type of career suicide where you're then only eligible to continue in academia. If you do want to go into research then I would strongly recommend a PhD as they're becoming increasingly common a requirement and it means you will gain significant research experience as well as straight away starting on a higher salary and position than someone who doesn't have one. There are researchers at my company who have been here significantly longer than me, but some of them don't have PhDs and I joined the company on a higher salary than them, so bear that in mind.

In essence, if you want to go via the academia route it's usually something like:
undergrad --> master --> PhD --> 1st post doc --> 2nd post doc --> junior lecturer --> senior lecturer etc.

The industrial route is typically simpler:
undergrad --> masters --> PhD --> researcher in industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending