The Student Room Group

Flight

Hi everyone, I’m going to have a flight from England to Scotland this month and I’m not sure if I still need to be 2 before the flight at the airport. All I have is a backpack and if I do the check in online do I still need to get there 2 hours before or one?
Reply 1
Check with your airline but most domestic internal flights that I have taken within the UK are still ok to be arriving at gate about 10 to 15 mins before boarding time (30 mins to be really safe) You won't need to check in any bags but you cut it too fine at your peril because once the gate has closed they will not let you through. The biggest gamble is the queue to get through security and the run time to get from there to the gate (which is invariably the furthest gate away from the security checks)
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Check with your airline but most domestic internal flights that I have taken within the UK are still ok to be arriving at gate about 10 to 15 mins before boarding time (30 mins to be really safe) You won't need to check in any bags but you cut it too fine at your peril because once the gate has closed they will not let you through. The biggest gamble is the queue to get through security and the run time to get from there to the gate (which is invariably the furthest gate away from the security checks)

Thank you for your answer. So one hour will be safe. The airport is 1 hour driving away and my flight is at 7am. So I can leave the house around 4:45-5am instead of 4am o’clock.
Reply 3
I don't think anyone can answer your question.

If you cut your margins on reducing time to get a flight you take a risk (as in life) You should be prepared to miss your flight as worst case scenario. How important is your destination or the reason for your flight? Cut it too fine and you miss your flight, waste money and you should not be disappointed. How much of a risk taker are you? Go early, take a travel neck pillow and you can power nap at the gate. At least someone might give you a shake to board the plane.

It is a bit like going out on a winters night in a warm car and taking nothing at all with you other than the clothes you stand up in. Plus impractical shoes? No coat, no phone and then you break down. Your phone is about to die but you have no means to charge it. All very foreseeable events with a greater or lesser probability of occurring. But the consequences?

If you cut margins you take a risk. No one can quantify your individual risk. You have to decide how close to the wire you are prepared to go. What if you lose your keys when you are about to set off - you oversleep or wake up in a half cut state? What is your margin if your car has a flat battery, or that you have mishaps on route? That you have insufficient fuel, that there are road closures or night diversions? That you can't get safely parked at the airport or the shuttle bus is late? What if the hold ups to get through check in and security are unusually large? Do you have time to turn back if you have forgotten your passport?

I would like to say if all else fails get the train but .....

Anyone would think Scotland was a different continent?

Most things in life are survivable. The fallout just gets more expensive according to the damage left behind.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by HellenFF
Thank you for your answer. So one hour will be safe. The airport is 1 hour driving away and my flight is at 7am. So I can leave the house around 4:45-5am instead of 4am o’clock.

No, you've misinterpreted the answer. The reply said that 30 minutes before at the gate is fine. If you've checked in beforehand you won't need to worry about that and won't have any bags to check in, but security is the big sticking point. There are still shortages of security staff at some airports, so if you get stuck there one hour won't be enough. That said, if it's this month and outside of school holidays you should be fine. It's during the holidays that things will get busier. Still, personally I wouldn't arrive at an airport one hour before a flight. I'd leave two and take a book with me. I just don't see why you'd take the risk of missing the flight.

Quick Reply

Latest