The Student Room Group

Do I need a passport to go to Cornwall?

I’m in the uk so will I need a passport to fly to Cornwall on easyJet?
No, but you'll need photo ID, so a driving license would do if you don't have a passport
The UK is part of the Common Travel Area (CTA), which includes the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. Under the CTA, British and Irish citizens have the right to travel freely between these countries without the need for a passport. Instead, a valid form of identification, such as a driver's license, is usually sufficient for domestic flights within the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by plutotravels
The UK is part of the Common Travel Area (CTA), which includes the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. Under the CTA, British and Irish citizens have the right to travel freely between these countries without the need for a passport. Instead, a valid form of identification, such as a driver's license, is usually sufficient for domestic flights within the UK.

OP was asking about a flight internal to the UK, so the CTA information isn't relevant to them.

I flew EasyJet twice last year and didn't need to provide ID on either flight at any point (though I had my passport and driving licence with me just in case). My travelling companion on one of those flights did need to provide ID, but only because she had luggage to go in the hold. But I would certainly carry photo ID with me irrespective of whether I had baggage to check, just in case.

It's worth noting, re the CTA, that the UK government recommends that British citizens carry their passport when travelling to Ireland:

"Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. British nationals travelling from the UK don’t need a passport to visit Ireland. However, Irish immigration officers will check the ID of all passengers arriving by air from the UK and may ask for proof of nationality, particularly if you were born outside the UK. You are therefore advised to take your British passport with you."

[source: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ireland/entry-requirements]

So, while you don't need a passport per se, the Irish immigration officials might want to verify that you are a British citizen entitled to benefit from the CTA arrangements. And the only practical way to confirm British citizenship is a British passport.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
No, but you'll need photo ID, so a driving license would do if you don't have a passport

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest