The Student Room Group

What's your go-to Airline for travelling?

For those that have flown before, what's your favourite or most used airline for travelling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whomever is cheapest. I'm not much fussed.
For commercial short haul flights, probably a tie between Air Lingus UK and Jet2.

British Airways and Ryanair are the worst of uk operating airlines that I always steer completely clear of, no matter how expensive the flights are from alternative flight operators.
Original post by Talkative Toad
For those that have flown before, what's your favourite or most used airline for travelling?

Everything, but Austrian Airlines. They have cancelled the flight after I stood already in the queue ready for take off. Its a disaster!
Original post by londonmyst
For commercial short haul flights, probably a tie between Air Lingus UK and Jet2.

British Airways and Ryanair are the worst of uk operating airlines that I always steer completely clear of, no matter how expensive the flights are from alternative flight operators.

Facts on the second paragraph
Original post by Kallisto
Everything, but Austrian Airlines. They have cancelled the flight after I stood already in the queue ready for take off. Its a disaster!

Did you get your money back at least?
Did you get your money back at least?

Compensation, yes! the sum of money I paid for the outward and inward flight in total is on the way.
Compensation, yes! the sum of money I paid for the outward and inward flight in total is on the way.

That's good then but still bad
EasyJet. And to save costs I travel light by using small bags that fit within their carry on size limits. If you are smart about packing you can actually fit a fair bit into one cabin sized bag.

Ryanair are the cheapest overall but are too unreliable for my liking. You can get amazing deals but they also have a tendency to cancel for any reason. This happened to me and my friend this year - we booked a flight but literally a day later they cancelled and our next best alternative was to travel a day earlier, meaning we had to book another night in our destination.
That's good then but still bad

There is always a next time! I will book the double duration next year and ride in a train again.

Just for everyone here: hands off the Austrian Airline! I repeat: hands off!!
(edited 8 months ago)
Emirates are really good
Original post by londonmyst

Are British Airways and Ryanair really so bad? worse than Austrian Airline? an airline that has a lot of cancellations daily? And what an airline can you recommend when people want to fly to Britain?
(edited 8 months ago)
There is always a next time! I book the double duration next year and ride in a train again.

Just for everyone here: hands off the Austrian Airline! I repeat: hands off!!

Also avoid United Airlines.
Also avoid United Airlines.

Which is the best one to fly to England and Scotland? all the more in the economy class.
Are British Airways and Ryanair really so bad? worse than Austrian Airline?
an airline that has a lot of cancellations daily? And what an airline can you recommend when people want to fly to Britain?

Yes.
I'd rate Austrian Airlines a 3/10 at their best, whilst BA and Ryanair get rated into the minus figures on the same basis.
Ryanair's customer service is the stuff of nightmares at almost all levels and for every role except their pilots.
Some are even worse than the appalling Mr. O'Leary.

Aer Lingus & Jet2 usually have very good prices with reasonable standards of customer service.
EasyJet and Wizz Air generally have the lowest flight prices but most of their frontline staff are quite grumpy.
I've never had a bad experience with TUI but some friends who travel with their young children or registered assistance dog received such appalling service that they called in the lawyers to write out their complaint letters.
I wouldn't risk taking a TUI flight if travelling with a child or an adult with an obvious physical disability.

The specific British destination airport can make a lot of difference when it comes to realistic expectations of good service from airlines and airport staff members, particularly for airports in England.
The best airports are generally City and Gatwick.

Avoid Luton airport at all cost- absolutely dreadful service from the type of foul mouthed thugs that should not be allowed to handle anybody else's luggage or employed anywhere near tourists .
Stanstead airport is a lot less hassle but tends to have a lot of misery guts that openly hate their jobs and far too many pervy creeps that sneakily obtain passenger's contact info then try to hookup or get a date.
Heathrow airport flights and private hire transport vehicles tend to be the most expensive, the airport tends to be very crowded between 7am-7pm weekdays. Things often get quite hectic & very noisy.
Reply 15
Original post by B7861
Emirates are really good

They should bring back the warm towels before takeoff though
Which is the best one to fly to England and Scotland? all the more in the economy class.

Easyjet for me.
For US trips, the best I've been on was Delta. For European stuff, generally Jet2, EJ, whatever was most affordable (though prefer to avoid Ryanair) as the distance isn't long enough to worry too much. Air France, Norwegian and SAS were all pretty good experiences too.
Jet 2 or virgin
I tend to use google flights to find the cheapest option and go from there.
I’ve most frequently ended up with EasyJet and so far have had no issues 🤞
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest