The Student Room Group

Is this crossing a line?

I am autistic and have social anxiety so I do t know if I am overthinking this…

I am a grad Student in a pretty small department. Anyway, a member of staff has invited a few students, not all, over to their house. We would be going together.

But… IDK I feel a bit weird about it. I have worked with children in the past (I know we are all mature adults) and would NEVER do this like invite a student’s parents over but I don’t know if I feel it is crossing the line..? I don’t really want to go (I barely do anything social) but… is this something to read too much into or okay?
Reply 1
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
If you feel very uncomfortable- politely turn down the invite and don't go.

Some college and uni staff can be a bit naive or get far too friendly with their students.
Giving them their home telephone numbers, commenting on their social media swimsuit selfie posts, sending them requests to follow their private social media accounts, inviting them to parties at their homes or to come with them to nightclubs.
It's idiotic and often leads to legal disputes or allegations of favouritism.
Original post by Anonymous
I am autistic and have social anxiety so I do t know if I am overthinking this…

I am a grad Student in a pretty small department. Anyway, a member of staff has invited a few students, not all, over to their house. We would be going together.

But… IDK I feel a bit weird about it. I have worked with children in the past (I know we are all mature adults) and would NEVER do this like invite a student’s parents over but I don’t know if I feel it is crossing the line..? I don’t really want to go (I barely do anything social) but… is this something to read too much into or okay?

I'd say it's crossing a line if they'd made you feel like you can't say no. I know it's easier said than done but if you don't want to go it's okay not to. If outright saying no feels too assertive and not something you're socially confident enough to do explain you have "revision", or promised your perants/ friends from an old school you'd ring them up then. I hope this helps, plus if someone gives you a bad gut reaction and seems untrustworthy you don't owe them your time it's better to protect yourself mentally and physically.
Reply 3
I wouldn’t say it’s inherently crossing a line - in my experience it’s pretty common for uni staff to go for drinks with students, particularly in the context of a research groups, for example.

But inviting you all to their house does seem maybe a step too far - I wouldn’t say it’s definitely a problem, but if you’re not comfortable going that’s very much fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending