The Student Room Group

crossing out in exams

hi! so kind of stupid question, but to anyone who's done gcses, just out of curiosity, how strict are the examiners about how you cross mistakes out in a paper?
like it says on the front the whole "cross through mistakes with a single straight line" thing, but tbh my immediate reaction to making a mistake is just to quickly scribble it out so that none of it is visible. will this have any impact on how i do on the exam?
Original post by asbestos99
hi! so kind of stupid question, but to anyone who's done gcses, just out of curiosity, how strict are the examiners about how you cross mistakes out in a paper?
like it says on the front the whole "cross through mistakes with a single straight line" thing, but tbh my immediate reaction to making a mistake is just to quickly scribble it out so that none of it is visible. will this have any impact on how i do on the exam?

The difference is makes is only significant if (a) what you crossed out was actually correct and (b) you didn't replace it with a different answer. In that specific scenario, a single straight line would allow them to see the answer and award you the marks, even though you crossed it out. If you ensure "that none of it is visible", the can't award you those marks.

Other than in that one scenario - it makes no difference how you cross something out.

Quick Reply

Latest