The Student Room Group

Overtaking a cyclist on zig zag lines by a crossing

Was driving today a straight road 30mph following a cyclist. I decided to overtake when nobody was coming on other side of the road so I could give the cyclist space. I then realised I had overtaken on zig zag line!

Google is a bit confusing with this and claims bikes aren’t motorised so overtaking is fine? But does anybody know?

Also to add there was no upcoming junctions it was a simple quiet straight road long enough for me to overtake safely on with no other cars coming.
Original post by Jessl1995
Was driving today a straight road 30mph following a cyclist. I decided to overtake when nobody was coming on other side of the road so I could give the cyclist space. I then realised I had overtaken on zig zag line!

Google is a bit confusing with this and claims bikes aren’t motorised so overtaking is fine? But does anybody know?

Also to add there was no upcoming junctions it was a simple quiet straight road long enough for me to overtake safely on with no other cars coming.

I agree, a bit unclear. From a quick search I think bikes may be classed as vehicles, in which case you should not have passed them at he crossing, (with them being the 'lead vehicle').

Might be easier to think of the intent of the highway code in this scenario: don't put yourself in a situation where you are accelerating, with your field of view restricted and in a place where pedestrians are liable to cross.

I appreciate a bike isn't the biggest obstacle and you may have determined that it was safe, but I would have just waited 5 seconds and passed afterwards.
cyclists fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending