The Student Room Group

which would be the highest paid out of these jobs?

a friend and i were discussing careers, jobs pay came up and we were unsure which of these would be highest paid... if you can could u give us a rank order of highest to lowest paid... also a rank order of prestige? too
-doctor
-IP lawyer(patent lawyer)
-finance/investment banking
-R&D jobs in pharmaceutical/biotech companines
-Management consultants(Big 4)
-international organisation(e.g. UN, WHO, ect...)
We're not basing career decisions in any shape or form to this, it was just a discussion/debate we were having about potentail earnings in specific jobs/fields :smile:
Thanks!
I think it has to be IP lawyers and investment bankers. IP law partners can earn in the millions, and most senior investment bankers earn a couple hundred thousand a year. I think accountants (or management consultants like you say) still earn a high salary that is in the 50-100k range, but I think the highest earners will be concentrated in the big 4 since they literally dominate like all of the market share for accounting. I'm not well versed with the other two professions, but I imagine that a big position in a pharmaceutical company would be over a 100k, still not as good as investment banking I wouldn't think. International organisation I have no idea, but I don't think organisations like those running on the principles of international welfare will be paying out extortionate salaries to its members - even the UK prime minster only gets 100k.
When people say the highest earners in the UK, everyone's immediately thinking of lawyers and bankers so that's a good indication of who's earning the big money. I'm still in A-level though so this is just my speculation, though I do hold offers for degree apprenticeships at an accounting firm that is just below the big 4 (Grant Thornton), commercial bank (HSBC), and investment bank (UBS) so I have done a bit of research into career progression and whatnot. I might end up just going to university for law, since law is interesting and I have an offer from LSE, but that's my opinion on top earners.
Reply 2
IB but you wont be able to hack the hours
Original post by Acuityo
IB but you wont be able to hack the hours

Commercial lawyers can earn more at partner level.
Reply 4

Ok and how about UBS?

yes i posted it in the wrong thread at first but now idk how to delete it
Reply 7
Original post by toxicgamage56
Commercial lawyers can earn more at partner level.

Lets be real no one is making it to partner
Reply 8
Ok and how about UBS?

Not as good pay as Goldman?
Can never shake off its reputation of harbouring natzi gold?
Definitely not management consulting
Original post by Quady
Not as good pay as Goldman?
Can never shake off its reputation of harbouring natzi gold?

Damn I have an offer from UBS.
Reply 11
Damn I have an offer from UBS.

Given you're doing your A-levels that's quite impressive - work experience placement?
Original post by Quady
Given you're doing your A-levels that's quite impressive - work experience placement?

Wait how do you know I'm doing A-levels? No, not a work placement, I've been offered a global markets degree apprentice position in UBS's investment banking division with a starting salary of 27,000. However, I also have an offer from LSE for law which is why I'm quite torn, and I'm going to let my A-level grades decide which option I end up picking.
Reply 13
Wait how do you know I'm doing A-levels? No, not a work placement, I've been offered a global markets degree apprentice position in UBS's investment banking division with a starting salary of 27,000. However, I also have an offer from LSE for law which is why I'm quite torn, and I'm going to let my A-level grades decide which option I end up picking.

Ah fair enough.

That's a grand less than my grad starting salary was 15 years ago in the public sector.

Do whichever you think you'd be more interested in. Probs be UBS if I were in your shoes, just keep an eye out on how the Credit Suisse merger is going.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending