The Student Room Group

Do employers check a levels if I have two first class degrees?

Weird question, but I have a first in mechanical engineering at both ug and pg level. Without saying too much, I got into uni with one a-level several years ago and got a B in that a level. I have put down two fake a levels to make my overall cv seem better, assuming they wouldn’t ever check these. Stupid I know; but is there any harm if it helps boost my chances of employment? Surely they’d find my two degrees as validation enough in terms of credibility
(edited 2 years ago)
yeah i had my A levels checked, but not every company will

but next time, think it through. if your A levels are going to bolster your application > you're weakly inferring the manager cares about them > so they'll probably get checked > meaning it was really stupid to make them up

lying on an application is more than sufficient for anything good you do/have to be overruled
Depends on the company. Some check, some don't. If the employer has asked for specific A level grades then they will almost certainly check. If the job ad didn't specify A levels or grades then they likely won't check.

But if an employer doesn't ask about A levels, why would you bother putting them on your CV anyway? It's fine to leave off your school if they don't ask.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lazuz
Weird question, but I have a first in mechanical engineering at both ug and pg level. Without saying too much, I got into uni with one a-level several years ago and got a B in that a level. I have put down two fake a levels to make my overall cv seem better, assuming they wouldn’t ever check these. Stupid I know; but is there any harm if it helps boost my chances of employment? Surely they’d find my two degrees as validation enough in terms of credibility

As others have said it depends entirely on the employer whether they check them. But what you're actually asking is whether an employer will have a requirement for certain A-levels or grades, or otherwise take them into consideration. Again, it depends on the employer, but I've only really heard of a few that will have a minimum grades requirement. It'll be stated in the application process.

Edit: Just reread your post and noticed the bit about the fake A-levels. Likely many more employers will perform background checks - including your pre-university qualifications - than will bother about the actual grades achieved. Lying on an application form or CV is grounds for dismissal if you're found out, I'm afraid. Having poor A-levels isn't always a problem, buy lying about them is.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lazuz

How do you think it's going to work out if/when your employer finds out you've lied on your application? And bear in mind that they might not find this out until perhaps you apply for a more senior role and at that point they check your qualifications.

People lose their jobs when they caught out over things like this.
Reply 5
Original post by Lazuz

Lots of employers perform background checks. Not just when you join but again for promotions etc. Being sacked for dishonesty would be a hard one to explain when applying for a new job.
Reply 6
I got into university without any A levels at all, just 2 GCSEs and 3 BTEC First Diplomas which are GCSE equivalents. And my results weren't even that good; 3 merits, 1 C, and an A. No one's ever paid attention to, nor questioned, my lack of A levels. Once you've got a degree they don't care about A levels in my experience because a degree (esp post grad) is clearly a greater achievement and stronger evidence of your capabilities than A levels are. No one is turning down a post grad because you didn't get an A level.

DO NOT LIE. Dishonesty is frowned upon and if caught, you'll likely be sacked. As another poster said, explaining you were sacked for lying about your education will be a far bigger hurdle to overcome than lacking a high-school qualification. Be honest; you have 1 A-level. Great. Now let that work in your favour - most universities require multiple A levels to gain a place; you got in with just 1, and graduated with 1st class honours both undergrad and post grad. If anything, it'll only highlight your achievements. At least in my experience.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lazuz
Stupid I know; but is there any harm if it helps boost my chances of employment? Surely they’d find my two degrees as validation enough in terms of credibility

Your two degrees are irrelevant if you demonstrably lie elsewhere. You can’t claim to be credible whilst making up an academic history.

As above, it’s up to the employer as to what they will check. Everywhere I have been successful at has asked for evidence of all the qualifications that I listed in the job application.

It’s a really daft risk to take because it’s very unlikely to strengthen your application, (I don’t think I’ve ever seen a job advert asking for decent AL and degree results), and will disqualify you from taking up a place even if you get through the rig-morale of the recruitment process.
Original post by Lazuz

That's a seriously bad decision to make. Just leave your A levels off your CV. If you've got 2 degrees, very few employers will care about your A levels, but those that do care will check.

Unfortunately though, what you've opened here is a complete new can of worms re your honesty. Your job application effectively forms part of your contract with the employer. If they can show they have relied on your CV in the recruitment process, even as evidence of honesty, then it's grounds for immediate dismissal on gross misconduct. Even two excellent degrees won't offset having that on your record.
Reply 9
The company I work for checks the highest academic qualification, which I guess is typically what you are recruited on the basis of. I think you might get away with it. However it’s a pretty stupid bit of fraud to be avoided in the future
Original post by Admit-One
Your two degrees are irrelevant if you demonstrably lie elsewhere. You can’t claim to be credible whilst making up an academic history.

As above, it’s up to the employer as to what they will check. Everywhere I have been successful at has asked for evidence of all the qualifications that I listed in the job application.

It’s a really daft risk to take because it’s very unlikely to strengthen your application, (I don’t think I’ve ever seen a job advert asking for decent AL and degree results), and will disqualify you from taking up a place even if you get through the rig-morale of the recruitment process.

law firms
Original post by EU Yakov
law firms

Probably not relevant to the OP with Mechanical Engineering at UG and PG.
Yeh if your want them to focus on your degree then leave the a levels vague, something like:
A levels at A-C grade including Maths & Englidh.

Beware, if you put all A* for your grades but only went to a **** university, people will smell a porkie pie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending