The Student Room Group

Do papers and ads go to the Grey pin or is it only for cardboard?

Do papers and ads go to the Grey pin or is it only for cardboard and hard carton boxes?
Depends on your council area. My grey bin is for general rubbish, not for recyclables.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Do papers and ads go to the Grey pin or is it only for cardboard and hard carton boxes?

You'll probably be able to find the rules for your area on your local council's web site.

We don't have coloured bins in my area, but we are asked to separate paper from cardboard.
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Depends on your council area. My grey bin is for general rubbish, not for recyclables.

Oh yh i meant the blue one
Reply 4
Original post by martin7
You'll probably be able to find the rules for your area on your local council's web site.

We don't have coloured bins in my area, but we are asked to separate paper from cardboard.

Sorry is this for a house or a building bin?
Oh yh i meant the blue one

Well in my area yes, the blue bin is for both cardboard and paper.

But again it depends on your council area.
Reply 6
you'll have to look it up on your council's website

e.g. google for "fulchester council recycling bins"

and there'll be a page telling you which rubbish goes in which bin in your area.
Reply 7
Original post by Joinedup
you'll have to look it up on your council's website

e.g. google for "fulchester council recycling bins"

and there'll be a page telling you which rubbish goes in which bin in your area.

Got it thanks
Do you know if the envelope is ripped (not cut by scissors) would be suitable for recycling? It doesn't state any info in the council website about this
Reply 8
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Well in my area yes, the blue bin is for both cardboard and paper.

But again it depends on your council area.

Got it thanks
Do you know if the envelope is ripped (not cut by scissors) would be suitable for recycling? It doesn't state any info in the council website about this
Reply 9
Got it thanks

I put them in with the paper... If its got my name and address on it I shred them to prevent identity fraud. Shredded paper goes in with non recylable rubbish in my area.
Reply 10
Got it thanks

My understanding of paper recycling is that it will ultimately be shredded down and used to make new paper. So it doesn't matter whether envelopes are cut neatly or ripped up. (And I've never used scissors to open an envelope!)

Some councils don't accept shredded paper, but I suspect this is more due to the logistics of handling it.

Where my name/address is on the envelope I tend to tear that bit off and shred just that part. I then add shredded paper (periodically, and not large amounts at one time) to my compost heap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending