The Student Room Group

Help. We can’t decide. Music Theatre degree 2023. GSA or RCS?

Our daughter has had 4 offers for Music Theatre. 2 in the US (New York and California), which are currently out of reach due to lack of funding. But following auditions, she has had an offer at GSA for the Foundation Course (she would have to improve her dancing and reapply for the degree course) and an offer at RCS for the degree course. Both are equidistant for travel. Her best friends are at Oxford, Portsmouth and Arts Ed, London. She knows no one in Glasgow. Such a quandary. Does anyone have experience of studying at either? We need more information to help her decide. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by NubianVie
Our daughter has had 4 offers for Music Theatre. 2 in the US (New York and California), which are currently out of reach due to lack of funding. But following auditions, she has had an offer at GSA for the Foundation Course (she would have to improve her dancing and reapply for the degree course) and an offer at RCS for the degree course. Both are equidistant for travel. Her best friends are at Oxford, Portsmouth and Arts Ed, London. She knows no one in Glasgow. Such a quandary. Does anyone have experience of studying at either? We need more information to help her decide. Thanks in advance.

RCS is a top drama school - and they've offered the 3-year, which is a highly regarded course with incredible alumni. The odds of winning a place are about 2-4%. Opportunities like that don't come knocking twice. As for where her friends are, when I went off to university, I knew no-one and my best friend was at the opposite end of the country. It mattered not - she's still my best friend, but I had a fantastic time meeting new people at uni (and am 20 years married to a fellow alumnus I met there). GSA is also great but it's Foundation with no guarantee of a degree offer afterwards - I also think, as a place, Glasgow might be more exciting artistically than Guildford (plus accommodation should be cheaper). Most people with an RCS offer would grab it!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by dollylevi
RCS is a top drama school - and they've offered the 3-year, which is a highly regarded course with incredible alumni. The odds of winning a place are about 2-4%. Opportunities like that don't come knocking twice. As for where her friends are, when I went off to university, I knew no-one and my best friend was at the opposite end of the country. It mattered not - she's still my best friend, but I had a fantastic time meeting new people at uni (and am 20 years married to a fellow alumnus I met there). GSA is also great but it's Foundation with no guarantee of a degree offer afterwards - I also think, as a place, Glasgow might be more exciting artistically than Guildford (plus accommodation should be cheaper). Most people with an RCS offer would grab it!

Thank you so much. Hubby and I echo your sentiments. We just want to ensure that we seek unbiased opinion. Really helpful. ThQ @dollylevi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending