The Student Room Group

Which direction should I take?

Hi, thanks for anyone helping !
so a little context about my situation. I am currently studying in a part time music course and a full time performing arts course. At the beginning of this year, I had decided to apply for some of the top drama schools, and have gotten offers from 3 of them.
However throughout the past year, my passion / love for the world of theatre, acting and performance has died down a little bit. I don't feel as though I am fit enough for the industry and therefore I would like to do a different course in University, which is the Criminology with Psychology degree. This course seems more fascinating to me and I am interested in applying for clearing in order to get offers for those.
Due to the fact that I had gotten into some of the top drama schools in the whole of the UK. I feel weird, I feel like I should want to go there, I mean I had worked 3 years into my course at college, so I should want to go to drama schools. I want to still be going to auditions in this industry but I do want to move to a subject that fascinates me more. Is this a wise idea? Is drama school worth it in the end? Am I going to regret it when it comes down to it?
Hi :smile: always follow your heart. Drama schools are very, very intense to prepare you for the industry. And if it isn’t something you love and you have a passion for, I would say do not go. Where have you got offers from?
Reply 2
Original post by whatacatchdonnie
Hi :smile: always follow your heart. Drama schools are very, very intense to prepare you for the industry. And if it isn’t something you love and you have a passion for, I would say do not go. Where have you got offers from?

Hi thanks for the reply !
I got offers from Italia Conti, MOUNTVIEW and GSA. They’re quite good drama schools and I am happy I was able to get offers, I feel bad for not wanting drama school anymore. Last year I would’ve done anything for offers like these.
I wonder if this is a temporary feeling or I will regret it.
I don’t actually know, which is horrible I am just left with my thoughts haha
Original post by ninix..am
Hi thanks for the reply !
I got offers from Italia Conti, MOUNTVIEW and GSA. They’re quite good drama schools and I am happy I was able to get offers, I feel bad for not wanting drama school anymore. Last year I would’ve done anything for offers like these.
I wonder if this is a temporary feeling or I will regret it.
I don’t actually know, which is horrible I am just left with my thoughts haha

Are these for the BA Acting or Musical Theatre? Or different courses? All 3 are amazing schools but if they aren’t for you and it’s not the route that’s okay :smile:
Reply 4
I think it's really common to experience burnout from something you've been working for for years. By the time my sister finished medical school she didn't even want to be a doctor. I know it may not seem like the best advice in the world, but I'd try and push through first year, and see if a new place, people, and perspective freshens up your love for a tough industry. You can always leave if you hate it!
Reply 5
Firstly - wow, wow, WOW! To get offers at all those places is AMAZING! You must be SO talented! What I will say though, is that you need to have the passion. If you don’t have that, it’s not worth putting your eggs in that basket. You can always be involved in amdram performing alongside any other career, and enjoy it without the pressure. I am a mum to two very different kids - my daughter is currently at Bristol Uni taking a psychology degree and absolutely loving it! My son is a performer with aspirations to go into Musical Theatre as a career. He definitely has it the toughest! He’s currently at ArtsEd 6th form taking a MT BTEC and has just accepted the Foundation MT course at Mountview for September. I worry for his future more than my daughter, BUT he absolutely has the passion and I know he would not be happy doing anything else! Good luck to you. Follow your heart!

Original post by ninix..am
Hi, thanks for anyone helping !
so a little context about my situation. I am currently studying in a part time music course and a full time performing arts course. At the beginning of this year, I had decided to apply for some of the top drama schools, and have gotten offers from 3 of them.
However throughout the past year, my passion / love for the world of theatre, acting and performance has died down a little bit. I don't feel as though I am fit enough for the industry and therefore I would like to do a different course in University, which is the Criminology with Psychology degree. This course seems more fascinating to me and I am interested in applying for clearing in order to get offers for those.
Due to the fact that I had gotten into some of the top drama schools in the whole of the UK. I feel weird, I feel like I should want to go there, I mean I had worked 3 years into my course at college, so I should want to go to drama schools. I want to still be going to auditions in this industry but I do want to move to a subject that fascinates me more. Is this a wise idea? Is drama school worth it in the end? Am I going to regret it when it comes down to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending