The Student Room Group

Part-time fee more than the maximum chargable fee

Hello,
I completed an undergraduate degree many years ago, but have since changed career path. I have been offered a place to study Biomedical Science (BSc) as a part-time student at the University of Bedfordshire over 6 years, starting in October this year. As far as I am aware, I would be eligible to apply for student finance despite my previous degree, as my new course is part-time and classed as an ELQ exemption.

The applications for part-time funding opened on Monday, but I am having difficulty completing the online form as I am getting an error when inputting the course fees.

The University of Bedfordshire charges students that already hold a degree at a higher rate, in line with the fee that international students are charged. My acceptance letter states the fee as:
Fee: £1775 per 15 credits (a full level of an undergraduate course equates to 120 credits)

This would make 1 year (60 credits) of the 6 year course £7100. But when I enter this into the field, I receive an error:
There is a problem
The amount of tuition fee you have entered is more than the maximum chargeable fee of £6935 for your course.

I'm not sure how to resolve this. Do I pay the difference myself? If so, that is fine, but I need some guidance for how to complete this part of the application correctly. I am still awaiting a response from the university for clarification, but any assistance here would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.
Original post by Sunrise_
Hello,
I completed an undergraduate degree many years ago, but have since changed career path. I have been offered a place to study Biomedical Science (BSc) as a part-time student at the University of Bedfordshire over 6 years, starting in October this year. As far as I am aware, I would be eligible to apply for student finance despite my previous degree, as my new course is part-time and classed as an ELQ exemption.

The applications for part-time funding opened on Monday, but I am having difficulty completing the online form as I am getting an error when inputting the course fees.

The University of Bedfordshire charges students that already hold a degree at a higher rate, in line with the fee that international students are charged. My acceptance letter states the fee as:
Fee: £1775 per 15 credits (a full level of an undergraduate course equates to 120 credits)

This would make 1 year (60 credits) of the 6 year course £7100. But when I enter this into the field, I receive an error:
There is a problem
The amount of tuition fee you have entered is more than the maximum chargeable fee of £6935 for your course.

I'm not sure how to resolve this. Do I pay the difference myself? If so, that is fine, but I need some guidance for how to complete this part of the application correctly. I am still awaiting a response from the university for clarification, but any assistance here would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

Hi there,

It's true that the maximum part-time Tuition Fee Loan £6,935. So, in this case we'd suggest submitting your application anyway and this will allow us to approve you.

However, it's definitely worth asking your university about this, so it's good you've done this. Once they get back to you let us know what they say.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending