The Student Room Group

The Official Cambridge Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lalexm
Indeed. Last year of Personal Statements, at least in the current essay style format.

I can't imagine many people are feeling confident about getting in. I have one daughter that got in last year and another one that will give it a go this years for 2024 entry, but with so many great applicants for every place, she realistically doesn't think she will get in, but will give it her best shot and see what happens. She has also gone to open days at other Unis and would be very excited about going to them if Cambridge does not happen, which I think is healthy.

Yes, that's a great way to put it.

Many students overstress about "getting into Oxbridge", and it's quite an unhealthy attitude. It's obviously a great thing to be in these universities, but at the same time, it's not "make it or break it". Your daughter's attitude is especially desirable for a Cambridge applicant, and I wish her all the best in her application!

A lot of 2025 applicants are worrying about the new format of UCAS applications. Anyone have any clue on what these questions would look like, whether they will be different for each university/ college students apply to?
Reply 61
Original post by sfdadsfds
Yes, that's a great way to put it.

Many students overstress about "getting into Oxbridge", and it's quite an unhealthy attitude. It's obviously a great thing to be in these universities, but at the same time, it's not "make it or break it". Your daughter's attitude is especially desirable for a Cambridge applicant, and I wish her all the best in her application!

A lot of 2025 applicants are worrying about the new format of UCAS applications. Anyone have any clue on what these questions would look like, whether they will be different for each university/ college students apply to?

I personally think the new format will be better. It will reportedly be a few specific questions like, why this course, what super/extra curricular have you done, any plans for after uni etc. Essentially same as now but in a more structured format, so I suspect less daunting for students, especially for those that don’t like writing essays. It will be on the UCAS form, so just a single set of questions for all unis.
Reply 62
Original post by lalexm
I personally think the new format will be better. It will reportedly be a few specific questions like, why this course, what super/extra curricular have you done, any plans for after uni etc. Essentially same as now but in a more structured format, so I suspect less daunting for students, especially for those that don’t like writing essays. It will be on the UCAS form, so just a single set of questions for all unis.

That sounds reasonable. I think the new format will also help the admissions officers to compare the applicants more easily and fairly, since they will have the same information from everyone. I wonder how the questions will be worded and how much space will be given for each answer. Do you have any idea when the new format will be available for preview?
Reply 63
Original post by sfdadsfds
That sounds reasonable. I think the new format will also help the admissions officers to compare the applicants more easily and fairly, since they will have the same information from everyone. I wonder how the questions will be worded and how much space will be given for each answer. Do you have any idea when the new format will be available for preview?

No, other than they will be ready for the next application cycle, so maybe early next year. We had better get back to talking about Cambridge, before someone on this thread tells us off for going off topic :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by lalexm
No, other than they will be ready for the next application cycle, so maybe early next year. We had better get back to talking about Cambridge, before someone on this thread tells us off for going off topic :smile:

That's very true.
If anyone needs any advice on the application process, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm happy to share some thoughts on the process as a student of the university.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Hlsy382
Hey all, I know this thread is still very new, but I applied and got into Cambridge for English last year so if there’s anyone who has any questions about the application process feel free to ask! I didn’t know anything at all about the Cambridge application system when I started out and I know how daunting it can seem- so I’d be happy to help in any way I can :smile:

I'm applying for English this year - How did you prepare for the ELAT? Also, how are English interviews structured?
Reply 66
Original post by halesjs
I'm applying for English this year - How did you prepare for the ELAT? Also, how are English interviews structured?

Hiya, I'm applying for english too! I've just been trying to compare extracts I can find online that don't really relate to each other.
Reply 67
Original post by halesjs

So I started my ELAT prep in September and first I found online webinars (should be some in the Cambridge admissions page or recorded past ones on YouTube) just to make sure I really understood what it was about and what it was asking me to do. Then I looked up past papers, an absolute goldmine of a website is https://www.english.ox.ac.uk/preparing-oxford-elat -it’s for the Oxford ELAT but I believe the question style is the same. You can find past papers and specimen responses with examiners comments. (Also if the extract in the past paper says it is copyrighted try just googling it!) After that I just practiced as much as I could just to familiarise myself with the essay technique and analytical skills I would need- I would sit the paper in exam conditions and then go through it with my teacher or self mark. When I didn’t feel like sitting for a 90 minutes to write a full essay (and you can burn yourself out if you do this too often), I found it really helpful to practice reading, annotating and planning an answer in just 20-30 minutes.

I believe interviews differ college to college, but for me they were online and I had two with about an hour in between. In the first, I was given two extracts (a poem and the introduction to a novel) 20 minutes in advance, which I then had to discuss and the second was a more general conversation about topics I had mentioned in my personal statement- but some were very tenuously linked and definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone! Both interviews were about 25 minutes long, but as everyone will tell you time flies past.

I hope that helped, feel free to PM me with any other questions and good luck on your application!
(edited 9 months ago)
Hello Cambridge 2024 applicants!

I came across a Discord group for Cambridge applicants, feel free to DM me if you want to join!

1) Biology Chemistry Physics Maths Further Maths Spanish (6A* Predicted, Grammar School Things)
2) Medicine applicant, really interested in the subject.
3) 10A* 3A
4) Went to a summer school at Cambridge and masterclasses, really liked the atmosphere.
5) BMAT, already started preparing.
6) Started a business (long story)
7) Become a neurologist and perhaps a researcher
8) The one and only: Trinity College
Original post by Oxbridge2024

I came across a Discord group for Cambridge applicants, feel free to DM me if you want to join!

1) Biology Chemistry Physics Maths Further Maths Spanish (6A* Predicted, Grammar School Things)
3) 10A* 3A
4) Went to a summer school at Cambridge and masterclasses, really liked the atmosphere.

The server that I am referring to is the official server of r/Oxbridge. They made chats for 2024 applicants.
Reply 70

3) 10A* 3A

6 A-levels? Wow, you only need 3, but I guess it can’t hurt doing so many as long as get top grades, and you can still find time somehow to do medicine work experience and all the other super curricular things that need for you personal statement.
Original post by lalexm
6 A-levels? Wow, you only need 3, but I guess it can’t hurt doing so many as long as get top grades, and you can still find time somehow to do medicine work experience and all the other super curricular things that need for you personal statement.

I picked so many subjects as I was interested in all of them at GCSE and decided to take them further. I still have plenty of time for other components of my application.
Reply 72

3) 10A* 3A

Why have you started bmat prep so early? Are you not doing the ucat?
Reply 73
Original post by Saad06
Why have you started bmat prep so early? Are you not doing the ucat?

His account got banned rip.

Quite early, but just joined their group chat. Looking forward to seeing all the Cambridge applicants soon!

It is great to see all the applicants trying to get to know each other early on. Good luck everyone!

I am also applying for Medicine. I have also decided to only take the BMAT only. The reason is quite simple: I would rather focus on 1 test and get a very good score than do both BMAT and UCAT and get 2 mediocre scores (leading to 4 rejections).

As we don't know what the cut-off will be, taking the UCAT isn't exactly safer as people assume; with the BMAT, you don't know your score and you don't know the cut-off. With the UCAT, you know your score but don't know the cut-off. Cut-offs change every year so it's gambling much like the BMAT.
Reply 74
Original post by Crow_M

Quite early, but just joined their group chat. Looking forward to seeing all the Cambridge applicants soon!

It is great to see all the applicants trying to get to know each other early on. Good luck everyone!

I am also applying for Medicine. I have also decided to only take the BMAT only. The reason is quite simple: I would rather focus on 1 test and get a very good score than do both BMAT and UCAT and get 2 mediocre scores (leading to 4 rejections).

As we don't know what the cut-off will be, taking the UCAT isn't exactly safer as people assume; with the BMAT, you don't know your score and you don't know the cut-off. With the UCAT, you know your score but don't know the cut-off. Cut-offs change every year so it's gambling much like the BMAT.

Ok fair enough. I wasn’t initially going to do the ucat either but I thought I might as well. Taking only the bmat is just a bit too risky and spending so much time revising for the bmat would just lead to diminishing returns. I wouldn’t say that the ucat is a gamble in the same way as the bmat because although the cut offs do vary, you will know generally where you are so you can apply strategically. I do think that the bmat is way easier than the ucat though and I think I will do way better in it.
Reply 75
Original post by Crow_M

I think it was just cause he was lying, he also posted the same thing in oxford undergrads saying he was applying for an oxford college
Reply 76
Original post by Ariichu
I think it was just cause he was lying, he also posted the same thing in oxford undergrads saying he was applying for an oxford college

People can apply for both if they're graduates. Not necessarily true.
Reply 77
Original post by Crow_M
People can apply for both if they're graduates. Not necessarily true.

Yea thats true, but he posted it in the undergrad forum, and also says hes got predicted A level grades, so he isnt a grad
Reply 78
Original post by Ariichu
Yea thats true, but he posted it in the undergrad forum, and also says hes got predicted A level grades, so he isnt a grad

Ahh that makes sense. I joined quite a few to meet applicants, I see no harm personally but each to their own
Reply 79
Original post by Ariichu

That aside, which course are you applying for? It's still quite early so these threads aren't very active

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending