The Student Room Group

EPQ help - Murder case

I want to write an EPQ about a murder case. How do I do that? Is it possible?
How do I make a research question? Right now, all I can do is summarise it.
Reply 1
Original post by imloki
I want to write an EPQ about a murder case. How do I do that? Is it possible?
How do I make a research question? Right now, all I can do is summarise it.

One murder case is too short. Your dissertation needs to be several thousand words.

Your EPQ has to be evaluative. It could be something like, "To what extent... do murderers and their victims achieve justice?". It's more than storytelling, it has to be opinionated.

Perhaps you could research two or three similar murder cases and analyse one case per paragraph.
Reply 2
Original post by k59533
One murder case is too short. Your dissertation needs to be several thousand words.

Your EPQ has to be evaluative. It could be something like, "To what extent... do murderers and their victims achieve justice?". It's more than storytelling, it has to be opinionated.

Perhaps you could research two or three similar murder cases and analyse one case per paragraph.

I'm thinking of doing something related to chinese ghost marriages. There's this case where a guy murdered 2 women to sell for these ghost marriages. In order to be able to write 6000 words, i'm thinking of writing about the culture behind it as well. However, I have no idea what my debate question can be. What do you think?
Reply 3
Original post by imloki
I'm thinking of doing something related to chinese ghost marriages. There's this case where a guy murdered 2 women to sell for these ghost marriages. In order to be able to write 6000 words, i'm thinking of writing about the culture behind it as well. However, I have no idea what my debate question can be. What do you think?

The ghost marriages as a subject must answer some kind of question, and that will reveal your title. Avoid titles beginning with 'How?' as that will just be storytelling. Try to say 'To what extent...'

Some examples of how to ask a similar question:
'To what extent are ghost marriages rooted in the ... tradition?'
'Are ghost marriages from tradition A or tradition B?'
'Were ghost marriages an inevitable product of ... culture?'

Remember you have to argue 'for' and 'against' so choose an angle/issue that is contentious and creates a highly debatable case.

You could even ask, 'Were ghost-marriage murders motivated by esoteric beliefs or material gain?'
This question example may not be related to your angle so forgive my lack of understanding. But this question would let you use the two victims as examples and the culture can be used as analysis. Hopefully this was helpful in any way.
Reply 4
Original post by k59533
The ghost marriages as a subject must answer some kind of question, and that will reveal your title. Avoid titles beginning with 'How?' as that will just be storytelling. Try to say 'To what extent...'

Some examples of how to ask a similar question:
'To what extent are ghost marriages rooted in the ... tradition?'
'Are ghost marriages from tradition A or tradition B?'
'Were ghost marriages an inevitable product of ... culture?'

Remember you have to argue 'for' and 'against' so choose an angle/issue that is contentious and creates a highly debatable case.

You could even ask, 'Were ghost-marriage murders motivated by esoteric beliefs or material gain?'
This question example may not be related to your angle so forgive my lack of understanding. But this question would let you use the two victims as examples and the culture can be used as analysis. Hopefully this was helpful in any way.

Your advice was really helpful. Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending