The Student Room Group

A-Levels

I'm just going into yr12 and plan on picking four subjects but I feel like it will end up being too much and wanted some advice. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by ameliachellam
I'm just going into yr12andplan on picking four subjects but I feel like it will end up being too much and wanted some advice. :smile:

Which four subjects?

If one of them is further maths, then that’s probably alright.

If not, there is no benefit to taking a fourth A level and any uni offers you are given could be made conditional on all four A levels rather than just three.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ameliachellam
I'm just going into yr12 and plan on picking four subjects but I feel like it will end up being too much and wanted some advice. :smile:

Hi, I took 4 subjects in my first year of college on top of an EPQ. Please, do not pick 4 subjects.

Why did I take 4? I was told I had to take 4 to do an EPQ which I don't regret because the EPQ is really helpful on your personal statement and it lowers your entry requirements for university. However, the work load was ridiculously intense and put me through so much stress that I didn't need. Universities only require 3 subjects so the 4th is a waste of time (unless you're getting something out of it like in my case I got the EPQ). Trying to balance those four subjects, EPQ, driving lessons, a job, coursework, (endless) homework and extracurriculars for my personal statement such as volunteering ruined my mental health and I would NOT recommend.

Edit: If you do plan on taking a 4th for EPQ I have some advice. Pick the subject that is least important to you and always leave it for last. Make sure you are prioritising your homework, tests, exams and revision for your other 3 first and foremost. You might end up doing terrible in the 4th but that does not matter at all because universities dont care about it. Please, don't make the mistake that I made and put even effort into all of them.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest