The Student Room Group

Mental health

Hi, I'm an actor so just wanted to start this off by saying I have a very vivid and big imagination which sometimes takes over. This is what my issues revolves around. I create characters in my head and act this out in my head. Feeling like that chosen character (not like myself) and I can kind off see the world I have created around me. I tend to do this better when listening to music so I am unaware of my surroundings, but I can do it anywhere. I used to think this was fun and an escape from reality, but as I started to worry that it may be an issue and my affect my life negatively, (and my Carrer) I can't stop feeling like these characters. I worried I had depersonalized disorder or schizophrenia, but the doctor said I am fine and I'm just creative and young. But I'm 19 and I don't want it to affect my life negatively. Can anyone help? is there anything to worry about? or shall I just allow it to be there?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by 1261*
Hi, I'm an actor so just wanted to start this off by saying I have a very vivid and big imagination which sometimes takes over. This is what my issues revolves around.

hello there! coming from experience, or something similar, at such a young age i honestly feel for you. it’s rough when you sometimes find yourself in a whole different world. especially when you forget about who you are as a person. it can get rough when you don’t even know what to do, however, i think that maybe time will just have something to do with this, it’s tough, i know, but honestly all we can ever do is give our minds a bit of space and time. so i’m guessing you like acting? is there anything else to help take your mind off of these fake characters? any hobbies you may like? try to maybe journal as well, it will take time, but i say do NOT allow it to just be here. it’s annoying when doctors can’t listen for anything, but sometimes they’re right. this here seems like an issue you can help solve for yourself, it’ll be hard, nothings easy in life. but you’ve got this, i know you do!
Reply 2
Original post by 1261*
Hi, I'm an actor so just wanted to start this off by saying I have a very vivid and big imagination which sometimes takes over. This is what my issues revolves around. I create characters in my head and act this out in my head. Feeling like that chosen character (not like myself) and I can kind off see the world I have created around me. I tend to do this better when listening to music so I am unaware of my surroundings, but I can do it anywhere. I used to think this was fun and an escape from reality, but as I started to worry that it may be an issue and my affect my life negatively, (and my Carrer) I can't stop feeling like these characters. I worried I had depersonalized disorder or schizophrenia, but the doctor said I am fine and I'm just creative and young. But I'm 19 and I don't want it to affect my life negatively. Can anyone help? is there anything to worry about? or shall I just allow it to be there?
Thanks

What you're describing is something I have experienced, too. It's a pretty normal form of empathy, imagination and dissociation. I still do similar things now, for example, thinking up imaginary scenarios and running through them in my head as if they were real, sometimes to the point where they make me feel quite emotional. The worst that has come from it for me is being in a slightly bad mood or getting distracted from what I was meant to be doing. So there is potential for it to become problematic, say, if you are neglecting day-to-day responsibilities. But I wouldn't be overly worried about it for now if that isn't the case. In terms of your chosen career, I'd say it could actually be a very good thing!
Reply 3
You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-relate, they have a chat advisor

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being

Quick Reply

Latest