The Student Room Group

Autism and university

I have autism and I'm worried that starting university will throw me more than others. I'm worried that I will be unable to cope with the large campus and finding classrooms as well as the need to form a new routine that can be disturbed very easily. I've already been in contact with the university's disability department but I'm still worried as this doesn't seem to be something that they can really help with. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Honestly, just be yourself and there will be many other newcomers to the university so don't be worried.
Original post by Guitar_Nerd
I have autism and I'm worried that starting university will throw me more than others. I'm worried that I will be unable to cope with the large campus and finding classrooms as well as the need to form a new routine that can be disturbed very easily. I've already been in contact with the university's disability department but I'm still worried as this doesn't seem to be something that they can really help with. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hello there

Please don't worry. I understand that moving to a new place, with new friends and routines, can be a stressful process. But you really are not alone. At the start of the year, everyone will be in a similar situation, with regards to not knowing campus, and you will all end up supporting each other. I remember in first year, for one of my first classes, my class decided to meet outside the building so that we could find the room together. Therefore, I would recommend joining student social media groups, like WhatsApp and Facebook, as these can be a great way to meet others and gain peer support.

With regards to routine, it shouldn't take too long to find a new routine, as your class timetable will be pretty stable. This means that, if you would like, you can set your days up to follow similar routines.

The main thing is, at uni, you will always find support. Whether it's through the disability department, your academic staff, or your flat mates and friends. The benefit of uni being so big, is there will always be someone around so you don't feel alone.

Hope this helps a bit,
please let me know if you have any further questions
Adam - Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending