The Student Room Group

Conditional offer

(pls be nice, I have autism)

I was given a conditional offer by a university conditional on passing an interview and some tests (I passed the tests I think?) but I'm autistic and had a really stressful day on interview day because of my phone battery dying and figuring out how to navigate this unfamiliar environment especially with the stress of trying to figure out how to preserve my battery all through the way home

As a result of being so panicked & overwhelmed, I messed up the interview and they've decided not to offer me a place + have said they aren't willing to re-interview me remotely to accom my neurodivergency as that would be a much easier environment for me

I feel very crushed right now and not sure what to do next, I was so happy that it seemed within reach I was going to university but then it all went wrong and I've been in a big ol depression slump since

What should I do?
Reply 1
Where they aware before the interview that you had autism?
I'm so sorry you have had such a crappy experience. I think others will come along with more experienced advice. But I think there are two important things here:

1. If they were this unaccomodating in the interview, then they don't sound like the sort of institution that will be good enough at supporting you through a degree.

2. This is not the only degree course or the only University you can apply to. When you feel ready, you need to look at other options where the support will be much better.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Where they aware before the interview that you had autism?

Yeah
Original post by liv_laughlove
Yeah

If you have time and still want to try and get into that uni you could definitely pursue some sort of complaint and demand a re-interview due to them not being accommodating while being aware of you being autistic.
Yeah

To be honest you have dodged a bullet you are best well away from them. Look elsewhere.

If they were aware of your autism they should have been aware of your difficulties in new environments and people. It really seems they are just a dreadful organization. You could complain that they hadnt made reasonable adjustment but would it be worthwhile.

Have a look at courses in more supportive environments.
If its the uni you really want to go to I can understand that, will they let you do a re-interview in person? Also have you told them what happened on the day of the interview and that it affected it? Hope everything works out for you :smile:
(pls be nice, I have autism)

I was given a conditional offer by a university conditional on passing an interview and some tests (I passed the tests I think?) but I'm autistic and had a really stressful day on interview day because of my phone battery dying and figuring out how to navigate this unfamiliar environment especially with the stress of trying to figure out how to preserve my battery all through the way home

As a result of being so panicked & overwhelmed, I messed up the interview and they've decided not to offer me a place + have said they aren't willing to re-interview me remotely to accom my neurodivergency as that would be a much easier environment for me

I feel very crushed right now and not sure what to do next, I was so happy that it seemed within reach I was going to university but then it all went wrong and I've been in a big ol depression slump since

What should I do?
Reply 7
Hi
I'm also autistic from my experience if they didn't ask how they could make the interview more accessible, then they are unlikely to have a good disability support service and I've found that the DSS is really important when looking (more than the course) as for me if there weren't any adjustments then I wouldn't be able to do the course
Hope you find somewhere that is right for you
Like it has been said above they have to offer reasonable adjustments even just asking is there anything you need etc. and if they haven't then technically they have broken a law so if you are really interested in the uni then I would make a complaint

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending