The Student Room Group

Can I become a nurse if Im bad with listening to instructions?

hi
i really want to do either adult or mental health nursing but i have suspected autism and adhd. im not good with instructions and i feel like i wont be good enough for nursing but i really want to do it.
should i just quit on my dream?
Original post by Anonymous
hi
i really want to do either adult or mental health nursing but i have suspected autism and adhd. im not good with instructions and i feel like i wont be good enough for nursing but i really want to do it.

No, dont quit your dream
You will be good enough
hi

No, do not quit.
You will learn to listen, and can learn. Through patience. Even small activities to help boost this, watching a movie without looking at your phone once, paint by numbers in one sitting.

If you get a diagnosis of ADHD/ autism, this will be on your side. It may feel opposite, however, we have so much progress in terms of discrimination laws. Companies ask you about these so they can accommodate your needs, they need to. Legally.
Reply 3
Original post by BankaiGintoki
No, dont quit your dream
You will be good enough

I really like the biology aspect of adult nursing but i have really struggled with my mental health over the years and have got better so want to help others too with their mental health so hopefully i can be either but i keep thinking that i may not be good enough. i just feel like that maybe i wont do well in the placements at uni like others or maybe the nurses at the placements may get frustrated with me

Original post by user1567945
No, do not quit.
You will learn to listen, and can learn. Through patience. Even small activities to help boost this, watching a movie without looking at your phone once, paint by numbers in one sitting.

If you get a diagnosis of ADHD/ autism, this will be on your side. It may feel opposite, however, we have so much progress in terms of discrimination laws. Companies ask you about these so they can accommodate your needs, they need to. Legally.

thank you!! that is a good idea. i do struggle with watching programmes especially if im by myself so i will do that and practice.

i'm looking to get a diagnosis, do i need to ask my GP to refer me or can i do it another way? i really do hope i can manage and cope especially in the placements at uni if i get to that stage.

i'm doing an access course to nursing so hopefully i can find a day or two to shadow a nurse to see and stop me from worrying.

thank you sm
I really like the biology aspect of adult nursing but i have really struggled with my mental health over the years and have got better so want to help others too with their mental health so hopefully i can be either but i keep thinking that i may not be good enough. i just feel like that maybe i wont do well in the placements at uni like others or maybe the nurses at the placements may get frustrated with me

thank you!! that is a good idea. i do struggle with watching programmes especially if im by myself so i will do that and practice.

i'm looking to get a diagnosis, do i need to ask my GP to refer me or can i do it another way? i really do hope i can manage and cope especially in the placements at uni if i get to that stage.

i'm doing an access course to nursing so hopefully i can find a day or two to shadow a nurse to see and stop me from worrying.

thank you sm

I have been working on my patience recently. Jigsaw puzzles, paint by numbers (listening to radio as I do so). Most helping is leave my phone out of reach. Some days I have higher focus than others.

For the diagnosis: call up your GP, and tell them specifically what you would like a diagnosis for. They will book an appointment and ask you questions of why you believe you may have this to learn about your symptoms more. Maybe questionnaires to score how much you suit symptoms. If you need someone else to diagnose you, doctor will refer you based on your meeting.

universities are there to help. There is DSA, Disabled Students Allowance, who help with resources, as well as specific sections, like an Autism Management Team, to contact. Universities accommodate ranges of disabilities.

you will do fine, my friend. Believe in yourself :smile:
Reply 5
I have been working on my patience recently. Jigsaw puzzles, paint by numbers (listening to radio as I do so). Most helping is leave my phone out of reach. Some days I have higher focus than others.

For the diagnosis: call up your GP, and tell them specifically what you would like a diagnosis for. They will book an appointment and ask you questions of why you believe you may have this to learn about your symptoms more. Maybe questionnaires to score how much you suit symptoms. If you need someone else to diagnose you, doctor will refer you based on your meeting.

universities are there to help. There is DSA, Disabled Students Allowance, who help with resources, as well as specific sections, like an Autism Management Team, to contact. Universities accommodate ranges of disabilities.

you will do fine, my friend. Believe in yourself :smile:

thank you that's helpful! i hope it's going well for you!! do you know if it takes a long time to get diagnosed, as in, do you have to wait for months?

that seems good. i'm happy to hear that there are things out there from unis that do support people with it.

thanks, i hope sooo!:smile:
thank you that's helpful! i hope it's going well for you!! do you know if it takes a long time to get diagnosed, as in, do you have to wait for months?

that seems good. i'm happy to hear that there are things out there from unis that do support people with it.

thanks, i hope sooo!:smile:

thank you!
Unsure about diagnosis times. It depends on how busy your gp is. Could be anywhere from weeks to months. Similarly, you could get admitted into the gp next week with an appointment, then they’ll refer you which can take a while. All depends on how busy it is locally
Reply 7
I don't think you should give up on your dream, but those are important skills for nurses, so you need to work on improving.
Reply 8
thank you!
Unsure about diagnosis times. It depends on how busy your gp is. Could be anywhere from weeks to months. Similarly, you could get admitted into the gp next week with an appointment, then they’ll refer you which can take a while. All depends on how busy it is locally

no problem!

thank you!! hopefully i can get a diagnosis in time before applying or going so that they can be aware of my condition 🤞🏼 thanks !!

Original post by AF2Dr
I don't think you should give up on your dream, but those are important skills for nurses, so you need to work on improving.

it’s really hard as i’m born like this but i’ll try my hardest to work on the skills. i’m worried that i won’t be able to be like other people without autism & adhd with instruction difficulties… it’s really annoying but do you think working both adult nursing and mental health nursing are at the same level of instruction taking?
no problem!

thank you!! hopefully i can get a diagnosis in time before applying or going so that they can be aware of my condition 🤞🏼 thanks !!

You can alert them you are awaiting a diagnosis so they are aware. They will want to be updated, and may ask for proof.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending