The Student Room Group

Exams

Hi, I’m planning in going to university to study for a doctor and I know that it will take really a lot of time, so I was wondering, can I start doing all my higher and advanced higher in S4/5 already? I’m currently at S3
Reply 1
I believe there is much more to applying for medicine that "just" getting top marks in H and AH - extra exam to prepare for (UCAT?), a very strong PS with experience, preparing for interviews etc.

Speak to faculty admissions staff at the unis if you are considering something as drastic as sitting H and AH early to find out if it will really be to your advantage or detriment if you don't get top marks first time you sit them.
Reply 2
Original post by stationary-sunse
Hi, I’m planning in going to university to study for a doctor and I know that it will take really a lot of time, so I was wondering, can I start doing all my higher and advanced higher in S4/5 already? I’m currently at S3

I'm not sure I can see many benefits and quite a few disbenefits of doing this. It is worth taking your time to be sure of what you want to do. One more year studying a broader range of subjects is really not that much time in the greater scheme of things. It also keeps your options open for longer.

As Blacklab says there are other aspects to the medicine application that you need to consider such as getting relevant work experience. Some of which you might not be able to get until you are older.

The universities also like to see that you can cope with a heavy workload so like to see for example students doing 5 highers in one year and not spread over several.

You should also bear in mind that for medicine some unis will want you to be 18 when you start or by start of second semester because of the work/training you start then. So depending how old you are now, getting a year 'ahead' might not help.

I've seen some medic parents on student room recommend taking a gap year before starting medicine. Studying medicine is pretty intense and training continues after your degree so taking some time out before starting is something to consider. So taking more time not less before getting started!

If you know you want to be a doctor then I think you just need to accept it takes time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending