The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Computer Science Paper 2 (H446/02) - 19th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey, do we need to know how to write code for circular queues or priority queues?
Reply 41
Original post by 16dannyyy
Hey, do we need to know how to write code for circular queues or priority queues?

Uhhhh... should I know what circular and priority queues are?? 😅Ive never heard of them
Reply 42
Original post by 16dannyyy

Priority queus aren't on the spec, linear queues are. Not sure if circular queues are on the spec - can't find them on the content clarification (edit: I think they are on spec. edit2: they are definitely on the spec) :
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/383613-subject-content-clarification-guide.pdf

It says on page 22 that "Candidates need to be able to read, trace and write code to implement a queue structure (including adding and removing items)."
(same applies to stacks btw)
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by sdosf
Priority queus aren't on the spec, linear queues are. Not sure if circular queues are on the spec - can't find them on the content clarification (edit: I think they are on spec):
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/383613-subject-content-clarification-guide.pdf

It says on page 22 that "Candidates need to be able to read, trace and write code to implement a queue structure (including adding and removing items)."
(same applies to stacks btw)

Yh there was a question on Circular queues in 2020, a 4 marker and a 6 marker.
Reply 44
I'm just waiting for the exam day, to see Dijkstra's algorithm vs A* algorithm question, or demonstrate how would they work given a graph 😭😭
(edited 10 months ago)
Do you recon we will have to write a merge sort?
Original post by CJTShadow28

I was wondering the same surely they cant make us write that much code for one question
Reply 47

The clarification document says that "Candidates need to be able to read, trace and write code to perform a merge sort", so yeah
Original post by Naijaman
The clarification document says that "Candidates need to be able to read, trace and write code to perform a merge sort", so yeah

But chances are they can't get us to program the whole thing for a question as it would be worth too many marks in the paper. It would be worth like 15 marks for one question. Don't quote me on this, but I think the likely hood is less than > 0.01%. I think the closest thing would be filling in the blanks.
Original post by ItsMe9798
For OOP, as long as you know the basics, you should be able to get at least something. I've been struggling on it for a while, but I have got so far...

Definitions:
- Class: a template to create an object, outlining the states and behaviours.
- Object: an instance of a class, with assigned states and behaviours.
- Attribute: the states of an object.
- Methods: the behaviours of an object.
- Instantiation: creating an object from a class.
- Encapsulation: making attributes private, so they cannot be directly accessed or modified without a given public method.
- Inheritance: creating a class template from another class, of which includes the same methods and attributes, but may have additional of its own (the subclass takes priority and overwrites the superclass).
- Polymorphism: methods that produce different outcomes, depending on the class it is used on, or how it is used.

Basic Code:
class className
private attribute1
private attribute2

public procedure new(givenAttribute1,givenAttribute2)
attribute1 = givenAttribute1
attribute2 = givenAttribute2
endprocedure

public function set_attribute()
attribute1 = newValue
endfunction
endclass

Create an object code:
newObject = new className ("attribute1 value", "attribute 2 value")

Is this not paper 1 stuff??
Original post by AnushkaMirza
Is this not paper 1 stuff??

Both but mainly P2, also it did not come up in P1, so it will defo come up without a doubt.
Reply 51
But chances are they can't get us to program the whole thing for a question as it would be worth too many marks in the paper. It would be worth like 15 marks for one question. Don't quote me on this, but I think the likely hood is less than > 0.01%. I think the closest thing would be filling in the blanks.

True what they'll most likely do is give us existing code and have us fill in the blanks.
Reply 52
Any 9-12 marker predictions guys?
Reply 53
I'm thinking IDEs or something about global/local variables but those have come up quite a bit. IDEs and caching almost always come up, data mining has also come up a few times so it's likely they'll put it in. It's hard to predict without seeing the 2022 paper. Heuristics and the A* algorithm has only come up once or twice I believe so that's worth doing a couple big markers on.

Original post by mokord
Any 9-12 marker predictions guys?
Reply 54
Do you guys think there will be high grade boundaries for Paper 1? Seems a lot of people found it good.
Original post by BigManBenjamin
Yh there was a question on Circular queues in 2020, a 4 marker and a 6 marker.

it says in the question "this queue is not circular" so it is referring to a normal queue with pointers
Original post by gogetter2k19
it says in the question "this queue is not circular" so it is referring to a normal queue with pointers

Post the question I'm almost sure it said something to do with rewriting or explaining something to do with circular queue.
Reply 57
Original post by Komodo772
Do you guys think there will be high grade boundaries for Paper 1? Seems a lot of people found it good.

hopefully not, but then again paper 1 wasn’t that bad which means that paper 2 will be the worst one out of the two papers
Original post by itsslolaaa
hopefully not, but then again paper 1 wasn’t that bad which means that paper 2 will be the worst one out of the two papers

Yea that's what I am scared of! Like if its OOP, a little bit of programming and some stuff about IDE's and big O etc, I'm fine. But if we have to fully program a quicksort or merge sort I'm screwed. Like I do feel like this paper is going to be really difficult.
Reply 59
Yea that's what I am scared of! Like if its OOP, a little bit of programming and some stuff about IDE's and big O etc, I'm fine. But if we have to fully program a quicksort or merge sort I'm screwed. Like I do feel like this paper is going to be really difficult.

nahh we aren’t going to be asked to program a sorting algorithm, its always going to be a filling out one and also they ask us to rewrite the code from a for loop to a while loop or vice versa. the proper coding questions will be like max 8 marks where they ask us to write something in pseudocode which is most likely an iteration so for or while loop

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending