The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Computer Science Paper 2 (H446/02) - 19th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by CJTShadow28
Yea that's what I am scared of! Like if its OOP, a little bit of programming and some stuff about IDE's and big O etc, I'm fine. But if we have to fully program a quicksort or merge sort I'm screwed. Like I do feel like this paper is going to be really difficult.

you don't have to be able to code the merge or quick sort. only the bubble and insertion sort, I'm pretty sure.
Original post by ItsMe9798
you don't have to be able to code the merge or quick sort. only the bubble and insertion sort, I'm pretty sure.

You have to know how to program both according to the spec for the alevel, you don't if your doing the AS.
Original post by itsslolaaa
nahh we aren’t going to be asked to program a sorting algorithm, its always going to be a filling out one and also they ask us to rewrite the code from a for loop to a while loop or vice versa. the proper coding questions will be like max 8 marks where they ask us to write something in pseudocode which is most likely an iteration so for or while loop

From what I can remember, there has been two questions where you have had to program a sorting alg from scratch. (Maybe one)
Reply 63
From what I can remember, there has been two questions where you have had to program a sorting alg from scratch. (Maybe one)

what a lifeee 🥲, who acc told me to pick this subject. but its my last paper sooo im gonna bang it out
Reply 64
I’m kind of terrified for this paper considering how GCSE students found paper 2 compared to their paper 1. I genuinely have no idea what to expect. I’m just hoping they don’t focus too much on data structures because linked lists, stacks and queues made up so much of paper 1.

I’m thinking computational thinking could come up, since from what I can remember they’ve never had a 9 or 12 marker on them but please correct me if i’m wrong. Procedural and OOP are guaranteed but not sure to what extent (there was a 9 marker where you had to compare them last year I think, so will likely only focus on one if it is a question). Dijkstras, A*, and IDEs are pretty much a given. I’m expecting an ‘explain how [sorting algorithm] would order the data’, or something to do with the big O notation of them. Searching algorithms, I’ve got no idea. I’m hoping it’s a gap-fill at most but they could ask anything based on how that GCSE paper went.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by scargarner
I’m kind of terrified for this paper considering how GCSE students found paper 2 compared to their paper 1. I genuinely have no idea what to expect. I’m just hoping they don’t focus too much on data structures because linked lists, stacks and queues made up so much of paper 1.

I’m thinking types of processing could come up, since from what I can remember they’ve never had a 9 or 12 marker on comparing them but please correct me if i’m wrong. Procedural and OOP are guaranteed but not sure to what extent (there was a 9 marker where you had to compare them last year I think, so will likely only focus on one if it is a question). Dijkstras, A*, and IDEs are pretty much a given. I’m expecting an ‘explain how [sorting algorithm] would order the data’, or something to do with the big O notation of them. Searching algorithms, I’ve got no idea. I’m hoping it’s a gap-fill at most but they could ask anything based on how that GCSE paper went.

What do you mean by ‘types of processing’? However remember if it’s really hard, the grade boundaries will be lower right? However who knows, hope the 9 / 12 markers are easy.
Reply 66
What do you mean by ‘types of processing’? However remember if it’s really hard, the grade boundaries will be lower right? However who knows, hope the 9 / 12 markers are easy.

sorry, meant thinking*. concurrently, logically, procedurally etc
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by scargarner
sorry, meant thinking*. concurrently, logically, procedurally etc

Ah yea prob, however I hate them so much. Like they are easy but I think it can be hard to get 9 to 12 marks from one subtopic like thinking ahead etc.
You have to know how to program both according to the spec for the alevel, you don't if your doing the AS.

surely it would be very unlikely though cause they’re both so long😟
Original post by hhhhheeeee
surely it would be very unlikely though cause they’re both so long😟

I guess they could give half of the code and say finish it off? Idk, i hope they don't.
does anyone know the where to find/what the easiest to learn pseudocode for merge and quick would be🐀
Reply 71
i found this video for ocr a level computer science, it has predictions but can someone check if they are likely or legit please

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQR36b3FWAA
Reply 72
i found this video for ocr a level computer science, it has predictions but can someone check if they are likely or legit please

the comments are a bit fishy but theres alot of people and i dont know whether to believe it, also his extra prediciton could be true because once there was a pipelining question referring to the FDE cycles in paper 2 when thats paper 1 stuff so is this true?
Original post by astar1212

well tbf apart from 1.1, there is no way his predictions are wrong.😂
(edited 10 months ago)
he just says revise the whole course lol
Reply 75
i’m so glad not everyone is finding this super easy - on reddit everyone is saying that ocr comp sci is a free alevel 😭 it makes me feel better that i’m not the only lowkey struggling
Original post by wn34
i’m so glad not everyone is finding this super easy - on reddit everyone is saying that ocr comp sci is a free alevel 😭 it makes me feel better that i’m not the only lowkey struggling

tbf it's not as bad as physics from what I have heard. I get everything, however just think its a little hard to get full marks on the long answer questions and the sorting and search alg code can be kind of confusing to remember and write down. Also I think it is fairly easy to make little mistakes that can loose you marks.

Check out https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ if you are struggling on a certain part, I have used this and craig and Dave videos and its been fairly okay to grasp.

However defo think that this will be one of the hardest P2 so far out of all the OCR CS paper 2s.
Reply 77
tbf it's not as bad as physics from what I have heard. I get everything, however just think its a little hard to get full marks on the long answer questions and the sorting and search alg code can be kind of confusing to remember and write down. Also I think it is fairly easy to make little mistakes that can loose you marks.

Check out https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ if you are struggling on a certain part, I have used this and craig and Dave videos and its been fairly okay to grasp.

However defo think that this will be one of the hardest P2 so far out of all the OCR CS paper 2s.

thank you, that’s what i’ve heard too that this paper is gonna be the hardest out of the two.

honestly i’m fine with writing and explaining just the coding aspect i struggle so much with - rn i’m just going learn how to write oop/ making a class and hope that it’s easy questions on that so i can get a few marks

with paper 1 it’s not like i found it hard it just i wasn’t confident in any of my answers i was giving myself marks and quite lenient too i couldn’t get above 70 marks

nea wasn’t good either - (55/70) i’m just hoping for a b overall tbh
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 78
Original post by nouranicus
I'm thinking IDEs or something about global/local variables but those have come up quite a bit. IDEs and caching almost always come up, data mining has also come up a few times so it's likely they'll put it in. It's hard to predict without seeing the 2022 paper. Heuristics and the A* algorithm has only come up once or twice I believe so that's worth doing a couple big markers on.

2022 programming paper had a lot of Breadth first and depth first, a whole 9 marker on it plus 7 other marks in seperate parts. There was 9 marker on comparing the use of bubble merge and insertion too where u had to talk about big o n stuff. There was typical dijkstra too ofc and there was a 9 marker on OOP and a decent amount of qs on stacks. Went over it in class a lot so know all this.
Reply 79
Original post by HH04
2022 programming paper had a lot of Breadth first and depth first, a whole 9 marker on it plus 7 other marks in seperate parts. There was 9 marker on comparing the use of bubble merge and insertion too where u had to talk about big o n stuff. There was typical dijkstra too ofc and there was a 9 marker on OOP and a decent amount of qs on stacks. Went over it in class a lot so know all this.

damn that’s basically the whole spec tbh

would you say then it would be more towards a* algorithm instead of dijkstra and more how binary and linear sort works - i don’t know how they would ask a 9 marker question on this tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending