The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Computer Science Paper 2 (H446/02) - 19th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Has anyone else done the OCR 2016 Paper 2 practice paper? Somehow I got like 52/140 on it, meanwhile the october 2021 paper 2 i got 89/140. Would you guys say the 2016 practice paper was way more difficult than the current ones?
Original post by PJ389
Has anyone else done the OCR 2016 Paper 2 practice paper? Somehow I got like 52/140 on it, meanwhile the october 2021 paper 2 i got 89/140. Would you guys say the 2016 practice paper was way more difficult than the current ones?

Mate don’t worry, practise papers are always always so much more difficult and their mark schemes have not gone under standardisation. I wouldn’t stress it. Tbh with computer science OCR the markschemes in general are very strange. It really would depend on the examiner who’s marking to understand your knowledge in your answer and apply it to the laws of the mark scheme. That’s why with ocr it doesn’t have to be EXACTLY worded like the mark scheme you just need to mention the same key words and points . Plus sometimes you get credit even if what you say isn’t on the mark scheme but is still accurate and valid to the context of the question .
Reply 82
Doing some quizzes from Physics and Maths Tutor for preparation and a question on a trace table appeared on one.
Is it possible we could be given a trace table question in our real exam? I couldn't find any mention of a trace table on the A-Level or AS-Level specification, however.
Original post by Komodo772
Doing some quizzes from Physics and Maths Tutor for preparation and a question on a trace table appeared on one.
Is it possible we could be given a trace table question in our real exam? I couldn't find any mention of a trace table on the A-Level or AS-Level specification, however.

Yes, it is on the spec notes. 'Candidates need to be able to read, create and trace code (for example using a trace table)'
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 84
Praying for lots of OOP, IDEs, sorting algorithms, optimization algorithms, graph traversal the rest of the spec can go to hell lmfaoo
Reply 85
For A* path finding will we be given the values for heuristics, If not can someone please explain how to find the values for the heuristic to put into the table when given the weight of the branches?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 86
Original post by atflyy
Praying for lots of OOP, IDEs, sorting algorithms, optimization algorithms, graph traversal the rest of the spec can go to hell lmfaoo

What are optimization algorithms?
Original post by elliotplum
What are optimization algorithms?

A* and dijkstra algorithm are the only optimization algorithms you need to know
For A* path finding will we be given the values for heuristics, If not can someone please explain how to find the values for the heuristic to put into the table when given the weight of the branches?

You will be given the heuristic values alongside corresponding graph nodes. The heuristic values represent an estimate of the distance from that node to the end node.
Reply 89
Original post by Kingemperor07
You will be given the heuristic values alongside corresponding graph nodes. The heuristic values represent an estimate of the distance from that node to the end node.

Also in answers to these questions i have seen longer routes that have been crossed out is this necessary to do for full marks
Reply 90
Also in answers to these questions i have seen longer routes that have been crossed out is this necessary to do for full marks

i would imagine so because those longer routes are what the algorithm originally gets and then later finds something quicker. otherwise filling in final results wouldn't need any algorithm you can just fill them in by inspection

Depends on the algorithm, if it's a question on Dijkstra, then I would explore every single node so that you guarantee the shortest path.
For A*, stop once you've created a path to the end node; A* doesn't require the "shortest" path but a good enough path, therefore you will not need to go through every route to get the full marks.
Reply 92
are you sure, what about his bonus predictoin? i think its legit his predictions
Im geuinely loosing it, Im having dreams about the mark scheme and psuedocode. I've never in my life been so terrified of an exam.
Original post by BigManBenjamin
Im geuinely loosing it, Im having dreams about the mark scheme and psuedocode. I've never in my life been so terrified of an exam.

chill out bro they are just questions written on a piece of A4 paper stapled together

Why so dramatic? It's not like the exam is trying to murder you.
Original post by Kingemperor07
Why so dramatic? It's not like the exam is trying to murder you.

What do you think your going to get on this exam.
Reply 97
What do you think your going to get on this exam.

its going to be lots of OOP and psudocdoe like mostly due to not being asked in a minute and paper 1 was no code, i hope you can sleep tonight, sweet dreams
Reply 98
ngl kinda terrified for this paper - i messed up paper 1 when everyone else found it easy, and i can’t do pseudocode questions so paper 2 is already naturally my worse one-

i can only pray for the ocr gods to be gracious towards me
Reply 99
Original post by astrid_lil
ngl kinda terrified for this paper - i messed up paper 1 when everyone else found it easy, and i can’t do pseudocode questions so paper 2 is already naturally my worse one-

i can only pray for the ocr gods to be gracious towards me

long day for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending