The Student Room Group

overweight baggage

Hi guys im going to Amsterdam tomorrow, however im bringing a checked bag with me on the flight, and I am unsure of how much it weighs. Everything ive packed is in a large suitcase and contains about 3 pairs of shoes, an air mattress plus pump, 3 sleeping bags, 2 towels and various other things like a jacket and blazer. Am i being way too ambitious? Is this likely over the weight limit? Thanks!
Original post by ambathebunny
Hi guys im going to Amsterdam tomorrow, however im bringing a checked bag with me on the flight, and I am unsure of how much it weighs. Everything ive packed is in a large suitcase and contains about 3 pairs of shoes, an air mattress plus pump, 3 sleeping bags, 2 towels and various other things like a jacket and blazer. Am i being way too ambitious? Is this likely over the weight limit? Thanks!

It's impossible for anyone to guess how much your suitcase weighs based upon a description of its contents. Unless you have anything that can actually weigh the luggage (e.g. luggage scales or bathroom scales), or something you do know the weight of to compare it with, you're just going to have to cross your fingers and hope.

(Not that it's relevant, but you haven't mentioned the weight limit.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
It's impossible for anyone to guess how much your suitcase weighs based upon a description of its contents. Unless you have anything that can actually weigh the luggage (e.g. luggage scales or bathroom scales), or something you do know the weight of to compare it with, you're just going to have to cross your fingers and hope.

(Not that it's relevant, but you haven't mentioned the weight limit.)

Apologies, the limit is 23KG, but your explanation makes sense, im just very desperate and stressed so thought id try my luck, thank you👍
All else fails, put extra clothes on.
If you don't have a suitcase weighing thinggy, put it on your bathroom scales
Reply 5
Original post by ambathebunny
Apologies, the limit is 23KG, but your explanation makes sense, im just very desperate and stressed so thought id try my luck, thank you👍

It’s too late now as you should have left, but my daughter flies regularly from uni to home with a 23kg bag and I get the feeling she brings the whole world and the kitchen sink in that bag, so you should be OK. The worst thing that could happen is they make you pay the excess baggage charge and take you up to the 26kg limit. We’ve had this and she just normally smiles, says she’s a student going home ( you can say the same) and they let her off but put a sticker on the bag to show that it’s heavy.

Quick Reply

Latest