The Student Room Group

How strict are Ryanair with cabin bag size?

They allow a bag to be 55x40x20 Mine is 55x40x23, does anyone have an experience with Ryanair and whether I’d get away with my bag being 3cm out?
I don't believe in self-flagellation so I don't fly with them. However from all the things I have read about them I would suggest you assume you will not. Please make this your last flight with them. Apart from their customer service and terrible treatment of those who should be getting refunds from flights cancelled due to Covid 19, you are supporting the cruel Grand National by flying with them. Michael O'Leary's horses take part and indeed have won the Grand National.

Care for animals, boycott Ryanair.
Only experience with Ryanair has been awful - they actually forced us to re-pay for baggage we already paid for, and refused to even let us on until we paid again. When we complained they say oh its a separate company that handles our checkins not our fault (?!). When we tried to then pin them on false advertising related to this turns out they aren't actually registered as a company in the UK so couldn't do that either.

Yeah so assume they are going to charge you extra for everything. If you get into a dispute make sure you record everything.
I’ve flown Ryanair dozens of times and I don’t think I’ve ever put my bag in the little box thing to check the size ... their staff at most airports aren’t paid anywhere near enough to give a flying duck about actually enforcing the rules.
Reply 4
If you have priority flight you can take a bag sized 55x40x20 and one more small bag sized 40×20×25. Without priority flight you're allowed to take only a small bag to be 40×20×25.
Reply 5
I have never flown Ryanair but looking at what people often say, I wouldn't push my luck if I was you.

I've flown BA and my hand luggage (a big ass duffle) was way larger than the little cabin baggage thing they use to measure.

Sauntered right through without any questions.
Original post by Jess_1230
They allow a bag to be 55x40x20 Mine is 55x40x23, does anyone have an experience with Ryanair and whether I’d get away with my bag being 3cm out?

Should be fine. Flown with them a few times and they've never measured my case.

As long as your bag doesn't look outrageously large (3cm out should be OK) then they won't even notice.
Original post by nexttime
Only experience with Ryanair has been awful - they actually forced us to re-pay for baggage we already paid for, and refused to even let us on until we paid again. When we complained they say oh its a separate company that handles our checkins not our fault (?!). When we tried to then pin them on false advertising related to this turns out they aren't actually registered as a company in the UK so couldn't do that either.

Yeah so assume they are going to charge you extra for everything. If you get into a dispute make sure you record everything.

I can definitely second this. They tried to charge us for luggage that fit into the measuring thing, but was just a little difficult to get in and out. My parents argued for a LONG time so we didn’t pay in the end but Ryanair is definitely the worst airline I’ve ever flown with.
I’m flying tomorrow and my case is only one centimetre wider and taller. Will I be fine?

Quick Reply

Latest