The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever been hungry but didn't want to eat?

Title. I last ate at 8pm
Reply 1
might your eating disorder have something to do with it?
Original post by black tea

That does seem like quite relevant infromation, doesn't it?
Reply 3

Yes it would and so would the birth defect but with the eating disorder side of things I realised I am making a lot of excuses like I continue to watch TV or watch programmes on my phone even though I am hungry or when I get hungry at 4/5am I don't want to go and eat some days. I also found I make a lot of excuses and don't eat the things I used to eat, saying things like "that's high in sugar" or "I don't eat that"
Reply 4
Original post by Anony345533
Yes it would and so would the birth defect but with the eating disorder side of things I realised I am making a lot of excuses like I continue to watch TV or watch programmes on my phone even though I am hungry or when I get hungry at 4/5am I don't want to go and eat some days. I also found I make a lot of excuses and don't eat the things I used to eat, saying things like "that's high in sugar" or "I don't eat that"

are you planning to do anything about it or are you fine with what you are doing?
Reply 5
are you planning to do anything about it or are you fine with what you are doing?

I'm not really obsessive about my weight despite making a lot of excuses, like I don't measure myself or check my weight. I have always been as thin as I am and suffered from the effects of being underweight and also my birth defect has a big impact, like I gain anymore weight and my digestive system doesn't work. There are people with my birth defect who are healthy and some overweight and some under, it affects us to various degrees so I guess I was seriously affected and was so bad when I was younger compared to now. I'm lucky I got to the weight that I am at now and there are people in my year group my height and weight. If I went under an eating disorder team I won't work with them unless they work with my genetics team and it would make me obsessive about my weight as they keep weighing you every time they see you.

I guess I won't do anything about it because my life went in a different direction and I am still unhappy about that and I am fine with what I am doing. I did realise over time it's getting worse though, like in picnics my nephew would be eating and my sister would tell me to eat, but I wouldn't and she says I overthink but in my head I am thinking eating disorder thoughts and of course during meal times when my mum wants to give me more food (probably to make me gain weight) I refuse and say "I don't eat that" and "that's high in sugar". There were times when I counted calories like my sister is doing (she's nearly overweight and trying to lose it). Today I had something with caramel on it and also a cake with icing on it, those two things are high in calories and sugar.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
I'm not really obsessive about my weight despite making a lot of excuses, like I don't measure myself or check my weight. I have always been as thin as I am and suffered from the effects of being underweight and also my birth defect has a big impact, like I gain anymore weight and my digestive system doesn't work. There are people with my birth defect who are healthy and some overweight and some under, it affects us to various degrees so I guess I was seriously affected and was so bad when I was younger compared to now. I'm lucky I got to the weight that I am at now and there are people in my year group my height and weight. If I went under an eating disorder team I won't work with them unless they work with my genetics team and it would make me obsessive about my weight as they keep weighing you every time they see you.

I guess I won't do anything about it because my life went in a different direction and I am still unhappy about that and I am fine with what I am doing. I did realise over time it's getting worse though, like in picnics my nephew would be eating and my sister would tell me to eat, but I wouldn't and she says I overthink but in my head I am thinking eating disorder thoughts and of course during meal times when my mum wants to give me more food (probably to make me gain weight) I refuse and say "I don't eat that" and "that's high in sugar". Today I had something with caramel on it and also a cake with icing on it, those two things are high in calories and sugar.

I hope things get easier for you one day, with or without professional help
Reply 7
I hope things get easier for you one day, with or without professional help

How would it get easier without professional help though?
The thing is you’ve said multiple times on here that you love your birth defect because it makes you thin so are you even willing to get professional help if you adore your genetic disorder so much?
Reply 9
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
The thing is you’ve said multiple times on here that you love your birth defect because it makes you thin so are you even willing to get professional help if you adore your genetic disorder so much?

If I gain weight it causes issues with my digestive system which is part of my genetic disorder. I don't even gain weight evenly, like my body would get bigger but never my arms and it makes me look like a snowman. As a woman my breasts would develop but bum wouldn't. It just looks funny.

I don't think I am willing to get professional help because I love my genetic disorder (though some people like my mum uses it to insult me sometimes). I do also feel like an outsider at the same time.

I am seeing a counsellor for mental health issues but it also makes me scared to bring up my weight because they will question it and one time they were worried so they wanted me to see a health advisor so I left them before I began therapy.
Reply 10
Original post by Sorcerer of Old

I do love my genetic disorder because I would need to be thinner than normal people. My BMI can be lower than normal and I can survive on that, that's what I love. Growth disorders that affect your ability to gain weight (there are some I know of that don't have an impact on their weight like achondroplasia and these people are at risk of obesity as they are like 2 ft tall, mine can also lead to obesity if we are not careful as we are short and some gain weight but it's so hard for people with my birth defect, as in I gain 1 kg a year not 1 kg a week but I can't even get on the healthy weight scale without issues and people that are healthy with my condition get type 2 diabetes) are probably the best conditions you can have. Yes it nearly killed me when I was younger (my digestive system) and a part of me doesn't like it because I will not look like everyone else (but then they just look fat to me) but at least people with birth defects have an easier ticket to Heaven as we are constantly suffering from health issues for the rest of our lives. The good side about growth disorders is we will never look old, at the age of 40 I will still look 12 or 10 even.
(edited 7 months ago)
How would it get easier without professional help though?

Through making changes yourself.
Reply 12
Through making changes yourself.

I guess I eat when I am in a good mood and don't eat on a bad mood, I think it would be really hard to break that on my own but I keep telling GPs that I can do it on my own. Sometimes I constantly eat and eat a lot during the day that I end up putting on weight without meaning to. I also lose the weight quite easily by not eating, though people would tell me starving myself isn't going to make me lose weight, you put it back on when you start eating or eat a lot at once. I don't see me put the weight back on, when I lose it I lose it and it takes years to get to the weight I was at.

When people get depressed some people would binge eat or over eat whilst others won't eat. Do all depressed people have anorexia?

I guess you could say I can make changes myself and eat and get to a healthy weight, but it may not help with the excuses and eating disorder thoughts. I also hate being "educated" on the importance of nutrition and "giving yourself the right fuel" and "the body is like a car." Do you think I don't know this? I do and still don't want to eat due to anorexia and my birth defect. Telling me these things (which may be by the therapist or nutritionist) just aggravates me. I will most likely put it on if I eat when my family eat (some family members eat constantly and some eat twice a day or three times a day and they are bordering overweight or are overweight, I don't think I will ever be overweight though, it's hard enough getting to a healthy weight).
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest