The Student Room Group

Computer science or software engineering

Guys I am pretty confused in the difference between them,espicall that oxford for example doesn't do software engineering for undergraduate degrees .
And if I do computer science what are the jobs that offer
Thanks xo
Original post by salem2877
Guys I am pretty confused in the difference between them,espicall that oxford for example doesn't do software engineering for undergraduate degrees .
Thanks xo

hi, so in my opinion CS is better as it is more broad. for example with CS you can become a software engineer after

and for the jobs that offer you can literally find this by a quick google search. there are honestly so much things you can do with a CS degree
Reply 2
You'll find that at most unis that offer both, they're near identical apart from one or two modules
At my uni for example, the only difference is that SoftEng students have one more mandatory unit but CompSci students can choose that as one of their optional units anyway
Original post by salem2877
Thanks xo

Hi!

In general Computer science covers a much broader area of subjects than Software Engineering. It also tends to allow you to work in more roles within the technology industry once you have your degree. It is a personal preference though. You could possibly take a look at the course modules for both on a university site and have a look at the differences and what is more interesting to you.

A computer science degree opens up a lot of jobs, I can't list them all as I think we'd run out of space :smile: but some of the main ones are: cyber security analysts, data analysts, software engineers, and web developers. It really does allow you to go into so many different types of jobs.

I've just finished my first year doing a Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) degree so if you have any specific questions about that or Heriot-Watt as a University please feel free to ask :smile:

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending