The Student Room Group

Applying to the same uni twice

Guys would it be a waste if I apply to the same uni, (Leicester) creative computing and then computer science. Is it a waste as I could just transfer? In my head I thought it would be better as if Leicester rejects one of the subjects and then at least I have the other one to fall back on (as I really wanna go Leicester).
Original post by Clivierx
Guys would it be a waste if I apply to the same uni, (Leicester) creative computing and then computer science. Is it a waste as I could just transfer? In my head I thought it would be better as if Leicester rejects one of the subjects and then at least I have the other one to fall back on (as I really wanna go Leicester).

Are they both led by the Comp Sci department? And what are the grade requirements for each of them?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Are they both led by the Comp Sci department? And what are the grade requirements for each of them?

"Are they both led by the Comp Sci department?" How do I check this?

" And what are the grade requirements for each of them?" Creative Computing: BBB Software Engineering (ABB)

And also its not computer science sorry software engineering
"Are they both led by the Comp Sci department?" How do I check this?

Should be stated on the course page.
" And what are the grade requirements for each of them?" Creative Computing: BBB Software Engineering (ABB)

And also its not computer science sorry software engineering

Purely from a grade perspective there might be some value in applying to both, however I would be concerned that these are quite different courses and you would struggle to write a personal statement that covered both in enough detail.

I would contact admissions at Leicester and ask whether you might be able to submit a second statement directly to them for one of the courses, as you are concerned that one PS for both might hinder your chances.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One

Purely from a grade perspective there might be some value in applying to both, however I would be concerned that these are quite different courses and you would struggle to write a personal statement that covered both in enough detail.

I would contact admissions at Leicester and ask whether you might be able to submit a second statement directly to them for one of the courses, as you are concerned that one PS for both might hinder your chances.

You can do that? I never knew you could submit a second personal statement. My friend applied to creative computing and then wanted to switch to software engineering and still got accepted, so do you think I can still apply with my current one?
(edited 6 months ago)
You can do that? I never knew you could submit a second personal statement. My friend applied to creative computing and then wanted to switch to software engineering and still got accepted, so do you think I can still apply with my current one?

Pick up the phone and talk to Leicester this morning
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

Pick up the phone and talk to Leicester this morning

Good idea, I'll do it now
Reply 8
Original post by ebyrne2036
Hope the phone call goes well

Hi I just called them and they said it would really be necessary to do it as they are quite similar and told me to keep it broad. But they told me that I could write another personal statement if it made me more comfortable. Although I don't know how that process would work, would you just email it to them?
I think so make sure to include you ucas number in the email
Hi I just called them and they said it would really be necessary to do it as they are quite similar and told me to keep it broad. But they told me that I could write another personal statement if it made me more comfortable. Although I don't know how that process would work, would you just email it to them?

Yeah, just email directly to the same admissions contact soon after submitting your application. As above, don't forget your UCAS ID.

Hi @Clivierx

Happy to hear you are considering University of Leicester!

I wouldn't say it is a waste at all. Both are great courses which offer different modules. You can transfer from Computer science into software engineering, but you cannot transfer from Creative computing to Computer Science or vice versa. So I would strongly encourage applying for both to ensure you get a place at the university.

When I was applying to universities I had chosen two courses at University of Leicester, and I got accepted :smile:

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Best of luck with your application, hope you get in to University of Leicester.

Sumayyah
(UK Student Recruitment)
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience
Reply 12
Original post by University of Leicester
Hi @Clivierx

Happy to hear you are considering University of Leicester!

I wouldn't say it is a waste at all. Both are great courses which offer different modules. You can transfer from Computer science into software engineering, but you cannot transfer from Creative computing to Computer Science or vice versa. So I would strongly encourage applying for both to ensure you get a place at the university.

When I was applying to universities I had chosen two courses at University of Leicester, and I got accepted :smile:

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Best of luck with your application, hope you get in to University of Leicester.

Sumayyah
(UK Student Recruitment)
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience

I'm looking to apply for creative computing and software engineering at Leicester, good idea? My main goal is to get into Leicester as i rlly like it, creative computing is BBB and software is ABB so it could allow some leniency.

Also was speaking to a teacher and they told me that apparently admissions could probably think i wasnt as passionate about those subjects since im choosing two "different" subjects.

Thanks!!
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending