The Student Room Group

Starting uni at 22

A part of me feels regretful that I didn't go to uni earlier in life, I feel like I have missed out on a lot, and wasn't taking my future seriously. I did an apprenticeship which I deeply regret, and I'm now going to uni this September at 22, will almost be 23 when I join, and I feel a little behind and I'm trying to not let it get to me. Most people my age seem to have graduated and I'm now returning back to being a student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
A part of me feels regretful that I didn't go to uni earlier in life, I feel like I have missed out on a lot, and wasn't taking my future seriously. I did an apprenticeship which I deeply regret, and I'm now going to uni this September at 22, will almost be 23 when I join, and I feel a little behind and I'm trying to not let it get to me. Most people my age seem to have graduated and I'm now returning back to being a student

youre literally 22 thats SO young you r defo overthinking
22 isn't old at all to start uni. There's barely any age difference at all from 18-22.

I'm at uni and I'm going to be 40 in a few months time.
Hi there,
Try not to worry. Everyone’s route to university is always different and just because you are starting uni this year, doesn’t mean you’ve missed out.
It’s not quite the same, but I took a year to study a Foundation degree at college after my A Levels, while most of my friends moved on to university, and at the time I felt a bit left behind. But now I’ve just finished my first year and I wouldn’t change my decisions as I felt more prepared to go to university this year.

Even though you might regret your apprenticeship, it has led you to where you are now, and it doesn’t matter when you go to university, as long as you know it’s the right choice for you.

There’s also such a mixture of ages at university, so I’m sure you’ll fit right in. Maybe you could take a look at your universities freshers’ events, or student union website so you can get an idea of what you can get involved in when you arrive at uni.
Best of luck with starting in September!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 4

That's totally fine. We humans are all students only, in other words, learners. There's no age where you finish being a student until you die. You feel behind because it's a manifest that after your schooling you join university for higher education and then a job but it's nowhere necessary to live life this particular order only specifically if you're courageous enough to do something new or different as you feel right for yourself without being bothered by other's opinions. As you say that you're trying to not let it get to you, so for this acceptance is the key, accept it that you're going to be joining it at 22 and you didn't miss out fun so chill because we're all exactly there where we're supposed to be, so not earlier being a uni student but now. And stop regretting, just focus on here and now, stop dwelling on your poor decisions of the past, that's just stopping your growth. Now just know that you're going to be a uni student and you'll do all the fun you get to have.
Reply 5
I'm also planning to start my university studies again in September at the age of 22, and I'll turn 23 in December. I had so many hurdles on my way back. Hence, I'd have to delay. You might have some valid reasons for the delay. Things are meant to happen in life. Let bygones be bygones. So, don't worry and just think about your way ahead. Good luck! :crossedf:
Hi I was wondering if a university rep would please be able to talk to me sorry for replying on the thread :smile:

Hi there,

You don't have to feel guilty for going to Uni at 22, you probably would meet people older than you and it's never too late to go to Uni. Try not to compare your life to others instead focus on the future. I know people that are 25 and above that are currently in uni so don't feel left behind. I hope you have a good university life.

Benedicta
Digital Student Ambassador UoS

Hi there, :smile:

Everyone is on their own journey and those who attend university will decide to go when it's right for them. Here at UCLan we have many students of all ages. University is a great way to meet people and you will likely find there are many of students starting university who are the same age as you or older. I know when I started my course there where students older than me so please don't feel like you are behind because your not. :smile:

Best wishes,
Sarah
22 is young, uni doesn't have an age range although you'll be older than most people on your course. at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much as the gap isn't too big, and lots of people i know didn't make friends off people from the course - if you want to talk to people of similar ages to you i'm sure you'll find plenty at the uni.

things happen for a reason, don't be too hard on yourself.

if you dont go now, youll be 23 when you start.. then 24.. then 25. the years will pass anyway, so make the most of life!
(edited 9 months ago)

I started at 24 and I had a great time! No one really knew my age unless I told them and the social scene was fine

Hi there,

I understand how you might be feeling a little behind but honestly university is there for everyone! There are people who start early at 17 and those who start at 30. Don’t feel like you have missed out as you’re going to be able to experience so now. Personally, there was a member of my first year flat who was also 22 and now he’s thriving and has a lot of great friends, doing well on the course etc. the important thing to remember is that everyone’s new to this, so don’t be afraid in integrate right in.
You may regret your decision but who’s to say what would have happened if you hadn’t done your apprenticeship. Maybe you weren’t quite ready for university then, but you are now. What’s important is what you want out of it, don’t concern yourself with the progress of others. There’s no such thing as being behind in your own life, its all about individual progress.

Good luck with everything! I’m sure you’ll fit in just fine
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 12
My extended group from my accommodation in fist year was a mixe of people who were freshly 18 all they way to 27. Age made no difference to anyone and we all hung out and went out together like it was nothing (because its not!). That's the thing about university, or adult life for that matter when you're all in the same boat things like age are the most unimportant details ever.

Hi!

I totally get that it can seem scary but don't worry, I started uni last year and on my course we had lot of people in their early 20s and some in their late 20s and older. Honestly, no one cares if you're a couple years older, or at least I didn't as I never really asked. If they are nice that's good enough and I think you'll find a lot of people share that mindset.
I would say if you are concerned about not being able to find people the same age as you and that's something you want then look into joining clubs as you'll be with people other than first years and so they'll be older.
Overall though you'll be fine 22/23 is still really young and I think you'll have a great time!

If you have any questions about uni life or clubs or anything feel free to ask! :smile:

- Jessica
1st year Computer Science & AI
Reply 14

Hi,

I hope you're keeping well.

Congratulations for getting into university and making this big step! :smile:

What University will you be going to?

I want to reach out and tell you that you're not alone, in fact I am in the same position as you. I am 22 and I am starting university this September and daunting doesn't compare to how I feel about going to university.
It sucks being a 'student' and 'back in education' later than my age group but the idea of this timeline where we are supposedly meant to accomplish things is misleading and makes you feel disheartened.

What helps me feel that little bit better is knowing that everyone is on a different path and journey, people at different age accomplish different things some earlier than others and That's Okay.
Age is just a number but your aspirations and goals set you apart. That is the very thing that gives you the passion and drive in life.

Remember when someone accomplishes something, nobody asks what age you did it, rather you get asked how you did it.
Believe me when you achieved something people only care about what you achieved.

Perspective is everything, but don't let this idea of achieving things by a set age get you down. You've got this!
It'll be nerve racking but I have no doubt people will be kind and lovely!

Take care :smile:

- K
(edited 8 months ago)

Hey!

I understand this can be difficult, feeling like you’re starting too late. Try not to be regretful, we all have our own path and there’s no time limit on when you have to start uni.

I felt similar before starting ARU a few years back. I was 29 at the time! Most of my friends are getting married and having kids but it doesn’t matter. We’ve all stayed friends and I’ve made new friends at uni. Some are older than me and some who are your age.

There is students of all ages at ARU and I’m sure your university will be the same.

Once you start I’m sure you’ll love it! Try to focus on the positives and the exciting journey you’re about to go on :smile:

Sophie (ARU) :smile:

if its what you really want to do it shouldn't matter what others your age are doing, don't compare yourself to people who have just graduated, just do uni because you think it will lead you down the right path and that you will enjoy the experience. Also, 22 is not old anyway. You still have time and remember, there will never be a time where its too late for education and to learn more about something you are passionate in. :smile:

Hi there !

I'm currently 22 at uni and by the time I graduate I'll be 25! When I started my course, I had no idea what to expect in terms of how old people would be. In our group of friends, we range from 22-35 and every gets on really well! We have all found that it's the course that we have in common and you never really notice the age difference! There is really a wider range of ages than you would think at university, a lot of people don't go straight in at 18!

I hope this helps to ease your worries!

Rebecca - 3rd year at UCLan

Hey, I started uni at 21 and loved every second of it! My flatmates/ friends were all 18/19 when we started and I was worried that I wouldn't fit in (being that tad bit older) but turns out I was completely wrong. It made absolutely no difference and I had the time of my life. I loved it so much, in fact, I'm now doing a PhD :smile:

Try not to worry too much about it. You're going to have an amazing time! And you'll take the studying more seriously than the ones fresh out of school, which gives you an immediate advantage.

Good luck!
I’m 22, 23 next feb. I’m starting uni this October (open uni). I had a baby at 18 and another at 21. Everyone’s life paths are different

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending