The Student Room Group

is it embarrassing to finish a four year degree at 24?

I have started at 19, dropped out at 22 then coming back at 23... I dropped out because I hated it and went to work, my family keeps calling me a failure and I am losing hope... should I complete the degree as BA hons in law and do a PGSE to go to Dubai? Also, I feel out of place with finishing a degree at 24... I will be graduating at 24 but I feel so out of place as a mature student ugh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have started at 19, dropped out at 22 then coming back at 23... I dropped out because I hated it and went to work, my family keeps calling me a failure and I am losing hope... should I complete the degree as BA hons in law and do a PGSE to go to Dubai? Also, I feel out of place with finishing a degree at 24... I will be graduating at 24 but I feel so out of place as a mature student ugh

no it's not embarrassing? let me tell you what is embarrassing - others judging someone else for wanting to progress in a career. be proud! you are amazing! i hope everything works out for you!
Reply 2

You deserve to do things in your own time. One of the people in my first year of uni had a family and a previous career as an accountant, and another was a 39yr old man who moved from berlin.

absolutely not embarrassing
(edited 7 months ago)

It is absolutely not embarrassing! There are plenty of mature students at university and if anything, it just shows your dedication that you returned to university to complete your degree when you didn't have to. It is a shame your family are not supportive, but you should be proud of yourself for your progress. Everyone's journey is different and yours is just as valid and admirable as anyone else's :smile:

I hope this helps

Estelle
Third Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

I don’t think this is embarrassing at all, however I understand worrying about being or feeling ‘different’. But here are a few things I have learned in my 7 years at uni that might help put things into perspective:

Are 22 and 24 really that different? Do you think you would genuinely be seen or feel different to your peers? Do you think if you were given 100 strangers between 22 and 24 you could tell the difference? I couldn’t. I also don’t normally ask people their age randomly (and if people start suddenly asking me for my DOB, I think they are probably pulling some weird scam).

Also, there are a huge number of people who return to education after working, stayed back a year in school, delayed starting uni, paused their studies for health reasons, changed courses and started over, and probably a million other things that can make you older at graduation. You are not the only one! I even know someone who decided to go back to education after retirement, and really enjoyed his course!

I would think more about *why* you want to do this course. You’re going to be 24 a year from now whether you do the degree or not. The question should be ‘will this degree improve my life’ and not really factor in age. If you need that qualification to pursue your dream career, then what you are choosing between is 1) going back to education now, 2) not pursuing that career, or 3) delaying the choice further.

Best of luck with your decision,
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Hi there, it is not at all embarassing. University has many mature students and you are not alone. There are plently of networking events for mature students to meet each other too.

Everyone comes from different backgrounds and have different experiences, I think just pursue a career that you are interested in at your own pace.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hi! I am currently 24 and in my third year of studying at Exeter. I also had a more unconventional route as I went to uni when I was 18, dropped out and started again at 22 and am now on a four year course. There are plenty of people like us out there, who are a little bit older and have gone about things a slightly different way - you just wouldn't know it as it's not as obvious to others as we think! I find that people are often surprised when I tell them my age - most of the time people don't give it any thought or see you as different or as 'out of place'.

It is definitely difficult to hear your family calling you a failure for taking an unconventional route. But if there are factors other than age that mean you don't want to be at uni (as you did say you hated it), it is worth listening to your heart. Pressure from others is unlikely to be conducive to a happy career - and no doubt you will find lots of others like you in whichever field you wish to pursue :smile:

Good luck!

Nina
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
No.

edit: although honestly your reasons for going back do not sound solid - if you go back you need to go back for yourself, not for your family's expectations.
(edited 7 months ago)
You’ll be working till your circa. 70 years old.

If you graduate at 22,23,24,25 is small potatoes in the grand scheme. Lots of people graduate slightly older then 22 for all sorts of reasons.
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
No.

edit: although honestly your reasons for going back do not sound solid - if you go back you need to go back for yourself, not for your family's expectations.

I just want to get a degree in hons, I don’t care what kind since I’m transferring in February and will study for nine months then that’s it. I will move to somewhere else far from my family and won’t have to deal with them anymore. My reasons is to get a degree and move abroad, of course they are disappointed and they are disrespectful to me because I am not finished with my degree even though I have nine months left. Nine months is nothing compared to years of working, I know my reasons doesn’t seem solid but geez they are threatening to kick me out if I don’t complete this degree.

I’ve been doing tjis since I was 20 and I’m ready to finish it, once I finish my degree, I can move to someone else and block their numbers.
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
You’ll be working till your circa. 70 years old.

If you graduate at 22,23,24,25 is small potatoes in the grand scheme. Lots of people graduate slightly older then 22 for all sorts of reasons.

I know but I just am tired, I have nine months left and that’s it. I just need motivation..
Reply 11
no it's not embarrassing? let me tell you what is embarrassing - others judging someone else for wanting to progress in a career. be proud! you are amazing! i hope everything works out for you!

My family has been rolling their eyes because i have been in education since I was 18 then dropped out a year later then picked it up again. I just have a couple of months of hard work then I’m done.

Hi there

I'm sorry that you're feeling this way but I wouldn't at all consider 24 as being "too old" to graduate! Firstly, life at university is so flexible, there is such a mix of people of all ages. Also, getting a degree is a challenge and people aren't all on the same timeline for achieving that! Don't stress and just focus on being proud of your degree! I don't know much about Dubai but your uni should be able to give you more advice!

All the best

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 13
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there

I'm sorry that you're feeling this way but I wouldn't at all consider 24 as being "too old" to graduate! Firstly, life at university is so flexible, there is such a mix of people of all ages. Also, getting a degree is a challenge and people aren't all on the same timeline for achieving that! Don't stress and just focus on being proud of your degree! I don't know much about Dubai but your uni should be able to give you more advice!

All the best

thank you, my family is so rude to me even though I have been in HE since I was 20, it has taken me four years [one gap year and two years later] they keep rolling their eyes and telling me im stupid, but the responses im getting on here compared to reddit is better honestly im glad I wrote this post :frown:( I am going to en-roll January 2024 and finish my degree seven months later with a 1st, so I can get a 2:1 overall in my degree

once that is done then I will travel for a couple of months and come back for my graduation then move to a new country by the time it is next year September. everyone is so lovely on here and I am so happy I have support :smile:

Hi there,

Absolutely not! As a medical student I will be 23 when I finish. Lots and lots of people come to uni later and there are some people who graduate at age 40-50 after changing careers or deciding they wanted to do something else. I definitely wouldn't worry about graduating at 24, there are loads of people who do so.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
thank you, my family is so rude to me even though I have been in HE since I was 20, it has taken me four years [one gap year and two years later] they keep rolling their eyes and telling me im stupid, but the responses im getting on here compared to reddit is better honestly im glad I wrote this post :frown:( I am going to en-roll January 2024 and finish my degree seven months later with a 1st, so I can get a 2:1 overall in my degree

once that is done then I will travel for a couple of months and come back for my graduation then move to a new country by the time it is next year September. everyone is so lovely on here and I am so happy I have support :smile:

I'm sorry that you're in that situation! I'm sure that you'll make it happen. Uni isn't always easy but you seem to be trying your hardest :smile:

All the best,

Reply 16

Turns out I’m getting an ordinary degree oop

Yh, a bit
Reply 18

No it's not embarrasing 24 is so young! Some people literally don't go to uni until they're 50! Also you're only a couple years older than those that didn't have a gap year - you're in the same age range as them!

Hey there!

I totally get where you're coming from, and let me assure you, you're not alone in feeling this way. First of all, it's awesome that you decided to give university another shot and come back to pursue your degree. That takes courage and determination!

Now, about your family calling you a failure - let me tell you, they couldn't be more wrong! Sometimes, we need a break, a chance to figure things out and discover what truly makes us happy. It's not about how you start, but how you finish, and you're on the path to finishing strong!

Completing your degree in BA Hons in Law and considering a PGSE to go to Dubai sounds like an exciting plan! It's great to have goals and aspirations, and don't let anyone make you feel out of place for pursuing them. Age is just a number and there is no "right" or "wrong" time to finish a degree.

As a student at DMU, I can tell you that the university experience is about so much more than just the age at which we graduate. It's about the knowledge we gain, the friendships we make, and the personal growth we undergo. And trust me, being a mature student can bring a unique perspective to your studies that can enrich the learning environment for everyone.

So, keep your head up, stay focused on your goals, and remember to have a good laugh along the way. University is a journey, and it's meant to be enjoyed. Embrace the challenges, embrace your uniqueness, and enjoy every moment of this exciting chapter in your life!

Wishing you all the best,

Ilya:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending