The Student Room Group

Going to Uni at 22?

Hi

I feel weird about going to uni at 22. I would finish at 25 and technically be 4 years behind Everyone when they finished at 21.

Pls help me calm down these thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MikelArteta812
Hi

I feel weird about going to uni at 22. I would finish at 25 and technically be 4 years behind Everyone when they finished at 21.

Don't worry about it. Its your life. heck I'm 23 and ill be 26/27 when i finish hahaha. No you shouldn't think like that. So what you go to uni later than them. Who's judging? Just go out enjoy your life and make a name of yourself or so to speak.
Just because you are 22 wont make a blind bit of difference. My eldest had someone in her flat a couple of years older, and she's living with her this year too. Enjoy the time there and embrace everything the uni experience has to give :smile:
Im 25 and joined this year, meaning I will be 28 once I finished, I never understood why people are scared/hesistant about their age.

My daddy :biggrin: is a millionaire and he went to uni in his 30s about a decade ago.

I always say this mate. Acquiring knowledge has no age limit, there is lliterally no shame in joining uni in your late 20s/30s/40s etc. to get a degree you need to get that job that you want...

Id rather do 3-5 years of studies being laughed at for my age, then work in a job I fcking hate for decades.
Although I still have to meet one person that has looked down on me for me being 25 and doing studies at uni, still hasn't happened yet, and even if it did, they are greatly mis-informed on their part, so its whatever...

Also I live in halls with a few students ranging from 18-22 im the oldest and they themselves dont even care about my age, Matter of fact, they look up to me for guidance and help when it comes to basic life skills such as cooking/cleaning and running errands, how/where/why like getting government paper work done.
Some people may do a double take on your age if you are old folk, but thats about it, they are not going far as to insult you unless they are losers, certaintly not a person like you that is just 22.

Whats the deal in you being 25 finishing studies compared to some younger ones finishing at 21, what advantage do they have? Some of them might not even pursue a job in what they have studies, happens all the time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi

You are worrying about nothing.
I'll be 28 when I go, and I fully intend on going onto a PhD program afterwards. Being older isn't an inhibiting factor - the older you are, the more experience you can bring in other areas. For instance, at 27, I have worked for 10 years in corporations and can deal with stresses and new information and concepts pragmatically, have a much better, realistic relationship with university staff etc.
Dude these days a lot of people change careers anyways so finishing uni at 27 isn't a huge deal even my maths teacher went to uni late and lemme tell you he's doing absolutely amazing now, living his best life and everything, dw abt it just focusing on doing ur best in uni. All the best!!
(edited 2 years ago)
I'll finish at 23: that's only 2 years earlier than 25. My friend started at 24 and will be done at 27 (28 with the year of WE) which is ~2 more than 25 in the earliest-case scenario! No problems here, though. All of my friends (see: 2) in my cohort are mature ones, too, and they're perfectly content with how they're doing and their life plans.

There's no shame in finishing Uni as an older student: it just means you have more experience, if anything, and likely (with your more stately age) treat the course as more of a learning experience than a drinking experience.
Reply 8
I’ll be 35 when I hopefully graduate! It is what it is. For what it’s worth I’ve been working full time for the past 12 years and In EVERY job I’ve had I’ve worked with people who went to Uni just because they thought they had too and then weren’t even working in the field they have a degree in and were on the same wage as me (Seriously).In my opinion it’s much better to take your time and pick a degree you actually want than rushing into it because you think it’s the right thing to do.
Original post by dbhc2411
I'll be 28 when I go, and I fully intend on going onto a PhD program afterwards. Being older isn't an inhibiting factor - the older you are, the more experience you can bring in other areas. For instance, at 27, I have worked for 10 years in corporations and can deal with stresses and new information and concepts pragmatically, have a much better, realistic relationship with university staff etc.

Yeah bro you 100% right. When your older you can deal with staff better. They’ll treat the rest like some little kids straight out of GCSEs
Reply 10
They’ll treat the rest like some little kids straight out of GCSEs

... This is... unlikely. There is very little hand holding, and the relationships are decidedly not as with an A-level student.

A bonus is that this is why so many first years struggle with the transition, and it is also why you will find it easier!
Hi

Hello there :smile:

I started my degree when I was 25. I have just finished it this year (I am 28 now) and I am starting my Master now. I do not feel old at all.

I remember once someone told me "In three years you will still be 28, so isn't better to be 28 with a degree and learning about something that you love?".

I am doing psychology. I absolutely LOVE what I am doing. I want to become a clinical psychologist. I know it will take a long time still so I have just decided to enjoy the process.

You are definitely not too old. And you will find LOADS of people older than you studying too. In my sociology class there is a lady that is 60. You are never too old to learn something new :smile:

Best wishes
Andrea
Original post by Kingston University
Hello there :smile:

I started my degree when I was 25. I have just finished it this year (I am 28 now) and I am starting my Master now. I do not feel old at all.

I remember once someone told me "In three years you will still be 28, so isn't better to be 28 with a degree and learning about something that you love?".

I am doing psychology. I absolutely LOVE what I am doing. I want to become a clinical psychologist. I know it will take a long time still so I have just decided to enjoy the process.

You are definitely not too old. And you will find LOADS of people older than you studying too. In my sociology class there is a lady that is 60. You are never too old to learn something new :smile:

Best wishes
Andrea

thank you 🙏
Wanted to add on to my original post how im 25 and starting a new course.

Im literally top of my class due to past experience which brought me in that position.

As others said, the world today is vastly different then 20 years ago.
Jobs come and go, and so does qualifications for it.
My uni has a lot of youngsters of course, but it isn't surprising either seeing a bunch of older folks in classes now.
Original post by CorporalJin
Wanted to add on to my original post how im 25 and starting a new course.

Im literally top of my class due to past experience which brought me in that position.

As others said, the world today is vastly different then 20 years ago.
Jobs come and go, and so does qualifications for it.
My uni has a lot of youngsters of course, but it isn't surprising either seeing a bunch of older folks in classes now.

Gives me hope tbf. I’ve lived abroad alone by the age of 19 for a year and have so much life experience so far under my belt . You’ve changed my perspective.

Keeping in mind that I actually wanna get a 1st class honours. I mucked about before uni it’s time to buckle down now. I ain’t going to party at all either. My party days are done.
Reply 15
Which university are u going to or planning to go to (to everyone in the thread) ?
I have just decided to go to university in September 2022 and i will have just turned 20 when i start :smile:
Reply 17
24 start, 34 finish, ha.
Original post by 161BMW
Which university are u going to or planning to go to (to everyone in the thread) ?

London Unis. Middlesex, Westminster, Greenwich....etc
Reply 19
it's completely normal. I went into uni straight after I left sixth form and I was the youngest in my course. the majority of them were in their mid-20's so don't stress. :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending