The Student Room Group

Good enough for further maths?

I'm thinking of self teaching further maths. Got an 8 in gcse maths and I'm finding AS maths fairly straightforward, wouldn't call it a walk in the park though. How can I figure out whether I'm good enough for further maths?
Reply 1
anything can be self-taught if u work hard enough
the specification/syllabus, at least for edexcel, requires knowledge of the entire a level maths spec/syllabus, so u might want to try a2 maths first to see if u want to continue with further maths or not
as maths is supposed to be a nice little "bridge" from gcse to a level, so isn't too difficult
a2 maths can easily mastered if u put in enough practice, but it's a level up from as maths
Reply 2
trying doing the AS level for FM, if you can ace that, you should be good for A2. If you teach yourself FM, normal maths would be sort of easy. I'd say maybe do some AS past papers, if you can get maybe 80% or above, I'd say you're good
Reply 3
Original post by quickquestion805
I'm thinking of self teaching further maths. Got an 8 in gcse maths and I'm finding AS maths fairly straightforward, wouldn't call it a walk in the park though. How can I figure out whether I'm good enough for further maths?

In my opinion it's possible as long as you love (or at least really like) maths. Certain topics do require a fair bit of time and doing questions, so as long as you have the dedication and patience to go through them then you're likely to be alright!
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest