The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering

Hello,
I am in year 12 studying Maths, Business and psychology. I am currently stuck in between doing finance at university or Engineering (mainly mechanical). So my question is if there is anyone that went on to do M.ENG without a level physics.
based off my research, i know that there are a few unis that dont require physics but only maths and that i could also do a foundation year. But i just want to know if you really do need it/ how it was without physics at alevel.
thanks
Reply 1
Hi I am in the same year as you and don't know much but you might have to apply to a foundation year since you don't do maths and a science... If u did do a science it would not have to be physics and if you can might be better off asking your school to let you do an AS level in physics. You will definitely need physics to understand many of the forces that come into play and how different factors affect different mechanics. Most good unis do require physics or any science, you could also take further maths as that includes further mechanics and will be good enough to go to a good uni for engineering. I know uni of Sheffield is good and offers a foundation year.. I would definitely ask if i could take AS level science or further maths as that will be a lot easier than a foundation year
Reply 2
Original post by roxey123
Hi I am in the same year as you and don't know much but you might have to apply to a foundation year since you don't do maths and a science... If u did do a science it would not have to be physics and if you can might be better off asking your school to let you do an AS level in physics. You will definitely need physics to understand many of the forces that come into play and how different factors affect different mechanics. Most good unis do require physics or any science, you could also take further maths as that includes further mechanics and will be good enough to go to a good uni for engineering. I know uni of Sheffield is good and offers a foundation year.. I would definitely ask if i could take AS level science or further maths as that will be a lot easier than a foundation year

i do maths alevel
Reply 3
Original post by Noshy-Nosh
i do maths alevel

I said maths and a science as in you would have to do both

Quick Reply

Latest