The Student Room Group

Year 12 thinking about an L100 (Economics) course at uni

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm not sure if I can get into any high end Russell Groups unis (e.g: KCL, UCL, Imperial, etc) for Economics? I'm not gonna lie, I only recently found out you could only apply to 5 unis, not unlimited...my GCSE grades are: level 1 merit, 556666788. I currently take Maths, Economics and Psychology and hopefully I can get the grades I need to for those unis. I've kinda got myself sorted so I don't 'fail' my next lot of exams. Any advice would be REALLY appreciated please!
Reply 1
u might want further for a lot of top unis
Reply 2
Original post by TallDuck32
u might want further for a lot of top unis

what do you mean by 'further'? as in my grades aren't good enough?
Reply 3
sorry should have clarified. further maths the subject, although unis might make concessions if ur school doesn't offer it. either way make sure ur maths is strong. that goes for a levels as your gcses are less important
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TallDuck32
sorry should have clarified. further maths the subject, although unis might make concessions if ur school doesn't offer it. either way make sure ur maths is strong. that goes for a levels as your gcses are less important

ah okay thank you for clarifying. a little bit late now anyways because i'm almost finished with AS and am WAY too dumb to do further maths. apparently my teacher thinks i can achieve at least a B or probably higher for my predicteds. i got an 8 at GCSE so i hope that's okay. but yeah i don't think my GCSE grades are good enough so they'll probably weaken my application - a lot.
Reply 5
I mean provided ur a levels Are good enough it shouldn't be an issue. frankly I can't give u more advice as this is based on what I've heard and I'm in y12 aswell. if u wanted u could do extra maths stuff like the IMC or do as further maths next year which would def boost ur application. alternatively u could go for a different type of economics - like economics and/with (x). Good luck ! x
Original post by princessjowusu
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm not sure if I can get into any high end Russell Groups unis (e.g: KCL, UCL, Imperial, etc) for Economics? I'm not gonna lie, I only recently found out you could only apply to 5 unis, not unlimited...my GCSE grades are: level 1 merit, 556666788. I currently take Maths, Economics and Psychology and hopefully I can get the grades I need to for those unis. I've kinda got myself sorted so I don't 'fail' my next lot of exams. Any advice would be REALLY appreciated please!

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University which isn't a Russel Group university but still ranks 16th for Economics in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide (2023). Here at Lancaster we offer a variety of economics based courses that require different levels of maths involved, for example:
- Economics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAB with A level Mathematics grade B)
- Economics BA Hons (Requirements: ABB)
- Economics and Mathematics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAB with A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics grade A)

In addition, there is economics courses that also involve politics, business or finance which may interest you with many of these offering placement years or study abroad years. Therefore, my advise would be to have a look at different universities to find what sort of economics course interests you most and what requirements it is actually looking for.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 7
Look at at Unis like .... Bristol, Manchester, Bath etc.
Far less competitive than London Unis - simply because they are not in London - and you stand far more chance of actually getting an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending