The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Is London Metropolitan a good uni for disabled students?

I have an ADHD diagnosis and am possibly autistic, although I’m not yet diagnosed for that. I’m considering studying at london met and wondering what the experience is like for disabled students? Is the support good? Are tutors open and keen to support disabled students? Really appreciate any responses :smile:!
Reply 1
Original post by Artemissed
I have an ADHD diagnosis and am possibly autistic, although I’m not yet diagnosed for that. I’m considering studying at london met and wondering what the experience is like for disabled students? Is the support good? Are tutors open and keen to support disabled students? Really appreciate any responses :smile:!

Hello! not sure if i'm too late but i'm the exact same as you and have been here for two years and unfortunately i would not recommend london met at all... the disability support they have given me has been beyond a joke and got even worse this year so i'm even looking to transfer :/ i can't lie the tutors aren't always the most supportive either depending on who you get, some of them were lovely and understanding but a lot of mine weren't very involved. hope this helps a bit
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Original post by ayleybeee
Hello! not sure if i'm too late but i'm the exact same as you and have been here for two years and unfortunately i would not recommend london met at all... the disability support they have given me has been beyond a joke and got even worse this year so i'm even looking to transfer :/ i can't lie the tutors aren't always the most supportive either depending on who you get, some of them were lovely and understanding but a lot of mine weren't very involved. hope this helps a bit

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I have the later UCAS deadline so it’s not too late! I went to visit london met and didn’t like the campus, plus I saw low student satisfaction for my subject and that put me off quite a bit. It’s helpful to hear your experience as well to back up my feeling.. Also I’m so sorry that it was like that for you. I’ve dropped out of uni before (uni of Leeds) in part because the process of trying to get support for anxiety and disability was so time consuming and draining. I think a lot of unis are still failing their disabled students. I really hope you are able to transfer to somewhere more supportive!
Reply 3
Hi
I'm autistic and have other diagnoses of mental health conditions
I originally applied for uni in 2022 whilst I was still in the diagnosis process and I firmed both Sheffield unis and they both provided so much support for autistic students that I was able to get whilst still being on the waiting list
I then decided to take a gap year as I wasn't ready to move out yet nothing to do with the uni support as they are amazing and I have had a formal diagnosis during the gap year, and whilst I have had more understanding there hasn't been much additional support at uni (in a good way as they already did everything they could before and have loads of adjustments)
I would defiantly say for us neurodivergents that the disability support is just as important if not more than the course content etc.
If you would like any specific details about Sheffield support let me know also I would definitely applying for the DSA with the student loan as they provide loads of software which is independent of the uni choice
I do realise that I'm probably too late but if you want to know what sort of accommodations you would be able to get let me know
Reply 4
Original post by Artemissed
Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I have the later UCAS deadline so it’s not too late! I went to visit london met and didn’t like the campus, plus I saw low student satisfaction for my subject and that put me off quite a bit. It’s helpful to hear your experience as well to back up my feeling.. Also I’m so sorry that it was like that for you. I’ve dropped out of uni before (uni of Leeds) in part because the process of trying to get support for anxiety and disability was so time consuming and draining. I think a lot of unis are still failing their disabled students. I really hope you are able to transfer to somewhere more supportive!

thank you so much i hope so too haha, hope you can find somewhere that fits you better too :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending