The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Help! Uni of Leeds vs Uni of Manchester

Got an offer for geography at both. Leeds is asking for AAB and Manchester, BBC because they offered me a contextual there. Coming from London, I really enjoy a good nightlife which both are known for and they're both very academic. Although I feel Manchester is a bit more city like than Leeds which may take away from the quality of the student life like other unis in London.. But then Manchester is rated higher on uni rankings and is known more internationally?!? There's so many factors to consider and I'm just stuck with what to firm.. Another issue is that if I firm Manchester I'll have no insurance as thats my lowest offer, but if I firm Leeds I'll have Manchester as my back up. This post is a bit of a mess/rant but if anyone could help me with this decision, that would be great!
Original post by Anonymous
Got an offer for geography at both. Leeds is asking for AAB and Manchester, BBC because they offered me a contextual there. Coming from London, I really enjoy a good nightlife which both are known for and they're both very academic. Although I feel Manchester is a bit more city like than Leeds which may take away from the quality of the student life like other unis in London.. But then Manchester is rated higher on uni rankings and is known more internationally?!? There's so many factors to consider and I'm just stuck with what to firm.. Another issue is that if I firm Manchester I'll have no insurance as thats my lowest offer, but if I firm Leeds I'll have Manchester as my back up. This post is a bit of a mess/rant but if anyone could help me with this decision, that would be great!

Ignore the issue "that if I firm Manchester I'll have no insurance as thats my lowest offer". If Manchester is your preference, and is happens to be your lowest offer, then firming somewhere you prefer less would make no sense.

Reading what you've written above, I see two "pros" for Manchester ("Manchester is rated higher on uni rankings" and "is known more internationally"). I see only one "con" (Manchester is a bit more city like than Leeds which may take away from the quality of the student life"). So Manchester has more going for it than against it. Decision made. :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

Ignore the issue "that if I firm Manchester I'll have no insurance as thats my lowest offer". If Manchester is your preference, and is happens to be your lowest offer, then firming somewhere you prefer less would make no sense.

Reading what you've written above, I see two "pros" for Manchester ("Manchester is rated higher on uni rankings" and "is known more internationally"). I see only one "con" (Manchester is a bit more city like than Leeds which may take away from the quality of the student life"). So Manchester has more going for it than against it. Decision made. :smile:

Yes, that is true, but I feel like Manchester being more metropolitan than Leeds is a big issue for me. I’m worried that I’ll be missing out on the social aspect of uni if it’s too much like a city. It will just seem like everyone is out for themselves in a big city rather than a community which is more prominent in Leeds. I like that Leeds has a balance between community and city life whereas I feel Manchester is more just city life; which may get overwhelming after a while. Especially with things like nightlife. I think what I’m stuck between is if I want to prioritise my academics over my social life vice-versa. Is it worth me going to somewhere that is prestigious if I won’t actually enjoy the uni experience or is it better for me to go somewhere that is less prestigious (still good) but has more of a student union and a balance between calm and crazy?
Sorry, I feel like I’m contradicting myself, I’m very indecisive. Your response was helpful in encouraging me to look at this in a more holistic way than focus on individual points. You’re also right about ignoring the firming issue - if it’s meant to be with Manchester there’s no point in me putting a place I won’t be happy at.
Original post by Anonymous
I think what I’m stuck between is if I want to prioritise my academics over my social life vice-versa. Is it worth me going to somewhere that is prestigious if I won’t actually enjoy the uni experience or is it better for me to go somewhere that is less prestigious (still good) but has more of a student union and a balance between calm and crazy?

Unfortunately, that's only something you can decide. Different people go to uni for different reasons. Some are all about the academics, whilst others are more focussed on the social life.

The fact that you describe yourself as "very indecisive" is... unfortunate. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest