The Student Room Group

S6 subject options

I want to do medicine in university. Im going into S6 and picking advanced higher maths, advanced higher biology, advanced higher chemistry and crashing higher geography. I’m thinking of dropping advanced higher chemistry and crash higher psychology instead. I need advise please 🙏
Reply 1
Chem will be 100x more useful for medicine, wouldn't recommend dropping it. If you really want to take Psychology, then you should drop geography instead.
Reply 2
It’s just that would three advanced higher be too hard?
Reply 3
I'm only sitting advanced Highers for the first time this year, so I can't really say, but I know that a lot of the organic chemistry will crop up in a medical degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Femaiden
I'm only sitting advanced Highers for the first time this year, so I can't really say, but I know that a lot of the organic chemistry will crop up in a medical degree.

Do u know if you also need advanced higher biology?
Reply 5
You might not need it for entry depending on the uni, but it would be very useful as well I think. The best subjects for medicine are probably chem,bio and maths from my understanding and I wouldn't drop any of them unless you are struggling throughout the year.
Reply 6
Original post by Femaiden
You might not need it for entry depending on the uni, but it would be very useful as well I think. The best subjects for medicine are probably chem,bio and maths from my understanding and I wouldn't drop any of them unless you are struggling throughout the year.

Ok thanks for the advice 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Jammacaroni
I want to do medicine in university. Im going into S6 and picking advanced higher maths, advanced higher biology, advanced higher chemistry and crashing higher geography. I’m thinking of dropping advanced higher chemistry and crash higher psychology instead. I need advise please 🙏

In the same boat as you! :h: I'm in S6 (this Monday, omg) and am wanting to apply to Medicine and Dentistry soon~

For subject choices, I emailed all the Scottish universities and in general, they said they don't mind whatever subjects you're taking so long as you take at least 2 Advanced Highers (One has to be either Advanced Higher Bio or Chem), and another subject (AH or Crash H is up to you) and also, that you have to have hit the entry requirements in S5 (AAAAB or AAAAA etc.).

If you're only applying to Scottish Unis, this means you're fine to drop Advanced Higher Chem for a Crash Higher in this case. They said that most applicants study one Advanced Higher from Biology, Chem, and Maths. If you only picked Advanced Higher Maths and Bio and opted for 2 crash highers instead of AH Chem, this wouldn't disadvantage your application. Go for it if you're happier with that :smile:.

In fact, that's similar to my plan~ I'm going to study Advanced Higher Biology and Music, and am trial-running Advanced Higher Maths and Higher Accounting next week. If I suddenly become an academic weapon, I might continue with these trial subjects but there's not really any benefit in doing that because I'm most definitely not an academic weapon... and studying 3AHs by themself is already brutal enough on top of all the extracurriculars/work experience we've got to do as well. If I were to miserably continue with these subjects and applied, unis wouldn't really care that I had done this selection of subjects anyway. I'd be put in the same boat as someone who only did 2AHs and a crash Higher. I'll def drop either Advanced Higher Maths or Higher Accounting before the end of this month.

Random but, regarding Advanced Higher Chem...
I wouldn't say I liked studying Higher Chem this year (I really liked some parts of the course just not others).
Wasn't looking forward to the idea of having to study Chem for another year so I'm dropping it.

I asked my friend who's in first-year med at Aberdeen about their course and if any coursework from these Advanced Highers crop up. They said some Advanced Higher Bio is looked at, but nothing from AH Chem or Maths. If anything, the only info they'll give you from Chem is just the stuff we covered in Higher. And even when they are looking at stuff that overlaps with an AH course spec, you're not expected to know it right away.
This is only for Aberdeen University though. I'm not sure about the other universities.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope that helps you out?
Let us know what you end up picking :h:!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Jammacaroni

I think most medical schools want Chemistry and Biology as A levels you’ve taken. I think u should stick with it .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending