The Student Room Group

Economics or Urban Planning?

I've just finished my first year of Economics at the University of Sheffield and I feel completely drained. All of my exams went fine and I'm confident that I will get a 1st in all my modules, apart from Statistics which I am only hoping to pass. Although I did fine on the course, I was on and off attending classes and in semester 2 I attended none of my classes. I used to love Economics back in A-levels, but the course at uni is just so boring and uninteresting. I talked to my friends about it and a lot of them have suggested that it may just be that first year is laying out the foundations for my next years of study. I don't even know what kind of career I'd pursue with an Economics degree.

I've started to look for internal course transfers and Urban Planning looks really interesting. It's a mix of Economics, Architecture, Engineering and Geography and just a brief scan through the module descriptions has really caught my eye. It's an integrated masters and the Uni of Sheffield is one of the best schools in the UK for the course with a triple accreditation. From what I've read, working in this field is extremely rewarding and demanding, something that Economics lacks. My only concern is whether I will be able to find a high-paying and secure job in Urban Planning compared to with Economics as the job market is a lot smaller and more competitive.

Any thoughts?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Take a look at the best-paid jobs - economics comes 6th.
Hi there,

So Urban Planning is a really varied course, as you say and do integrate elements of Economics within it. I would really recommend it, career wise there is great opportunities and in general a shortage of Planners in the UK so the job market is quite positive for graduates. However, I would say that the pay isn't going to be as high as some common job roles for Economics graduates. If you are interested in shaping places, and having an education which looks at cities, spaces, communities and design then its a great option for you!

Hopefully this is useful :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 3
Do check on your finances - an integrated masters is typically 4 years (RTPI need a masters for their chartered membership), given you've already complete a year, student finance will probably only provide you with another three years of funding.
You could potentially do a BSc version and then a topup MSc afterwards.
Original post by timleebcu
Do check on your finances - an integrated masters is typically 4 years (RTPI need a masters for their chartered membership), given you've already complete a year, student finance will probably only provide you with another three years of funding.
You could potentially do a BSc version and then a topup MSc afterwards.

That's not the case. An integrated masters is classed as an undergraduate degree so students are able to apply for maintenance and tuition fee funding.

The OP will have used their grace year of funding, but could still be fully funded for a four-year integrated masters. The calculation is:

Number of years of new course - Previous years of uni study + 1 grace year = Remaining years of SF entitlement

4 - 1 + 1 = 4 years of funding

Reply 5
Thanks for the correction in my head it's been four years of funding - but it's laid out here (always good to have a reference)
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending