The Student Room Group

A levels

What career paths could i go into with the a levels:biology,sociology and economics?
Original post by harveyidicula555
What career paths could i go into with the a levels:biology,sociology and economics?

I would have thought you would pick the career before you pick the subjects. Doing it the way you did is going to make this a significantly longer post than it needs to be, especially when you have not even specified what sort of career you want i.e. what do you see yourself doing everyday?

In terms of degrees, you can apply for any degree that accept biology as the only required A Level or a degree that accepts 3 A Levels in any random subjects.

If you're applying for a competitive life science degree, then you're likely going to be requested to have chemistry. However, there are some degrees that can accept just biology e.g. biology, medicine, dentistry, zoology, nutrition. You can also sometimes get the odd degree that considers economics as an extra science (don't ask), but these are rare. I am not going to go through all the degrees out there that just requires biology but not chemistry or that requires biology but accepts economics as a science, especially without using AI (do your own research).

In terms of general degrees that accept 3 A Levels in any subjects, you can generally do:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Some degrees in creative writing and English literature

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Linguistics

Agriculture

Some art and design degrees, including architecture

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Some history degrees

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Property and urban planning

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Paramedic science

Social work

The degrees that are "recognised" for the industries you study them for are in law, nursing, paramedic science, architecure, property, urban palnning, psychology (if BPS accredited), sociology/criminology (if you work for the government), social work, and education (some might say journalism degrees are recognised, but I haven't read into it too much).

In terms of other careers that you can do with just A Levels, consider the following sectors:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

If you decide to go to an adult college after your A Levels, then you can do courses that are relevant to the following:

Animal care (other than vet)

Some areas of construction and certain trades

Some areas of beauty and wellbeing

Some areas of engineering

You can go into the following areas with specific professional qualifications (irrespective of what previous qualifications you have):

Accounting

Law (CILEx)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

I don't know which sectors or roles that you want to get into, so it's very open ended at this moment in time. If you can be ultra specific, this can be significantly narrowed down - to be clear, I am not going through and list all the possible 600+ roles that you can do (I can help you list some if you can be a lot more specific). If you want the websites so you can do your own research for the careers that you can do, I'm happy to provide them.

For degree suggestions with your A levels, try this tool:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

For career profiles:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

With biology you could consider one of the Allied Health Professions:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/
Original post by MindMax2000
I would have thought you would pick the career before you pick the subjects. Doing it the way you did is going to make this a significantly longer post than it needs to be, especially when you have not even specified what sort of career you want i.e. what do you see yourself doing everyday?

In terms of degrees, you can apply for any degree that accept biology as the only required A Level or a degree that accepts 3 A Levels in any random subjects.

If you're applying for a competitive life science degree, then you're likely going to be requested to have chemistry. However, there are some degrees that can accept just biology e.g. biology, medicine, dentistry, zoology, nutrition. You can also sometimes get the odd degree that considers economics as an extra science (don't ask), but these are rare. I am not going to go through all the degrees out there that just requires biology but not chemistry or that requires biology but accepts economics as a science, especially without using AI (do your own research).

In terms of general degrees that accept 3 A Levels in any subjects, you can generally do:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Some degrees in creative writing and English literature

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Linguistics

Agriculture

Some art and design degrees, including architecture

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Some history degrees

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Property and urban planning

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Paramedic science

Social work

The degrees that are "recognised" for the industries you study them for are in law, nursing, paramedic science, architecure, property, urban palnning, psychology (if BPS accredited), sociology/criminology (if you work for the government), social work, and education (some might say journalism degrees are recognised, but I haven't read into it too much).

In terms of other careers that you can do with just A Levels, consider the following sectors:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

If you decide to go to an adult college after your A Levels, then you can do courses that are relevant to the following:

Animal care (other than vet)

Some areas of construction and certain trades

Some areas of beauty and wellbeing

Some areas of engineering

You can go into the following areas with specific professional qualifications (irrespective of what previous qualifications you have):

Accounting

Law (CILEx)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

I don't know which sectors or roles that you want to get into, so it's very open ended at this moment in time. If you can be ultra specific, this can be significantly narrowed down - to be clear, I am not going through and list all the possible 600+ roles that you can do (I can help you list some if you can be a lot more specific). If you want the websites so you can do your own research for the careers that you can do, I'm happy to provide them.

Hi max
Thanks for your response it was really useful. The subjects I chose in the end were sociology, bio, eco.I chose them late due to personal reasons and I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do in the future so I just picked subjects I liked. In terms of what I want to do in the future, i was hoping for a financial sector type of job. Any recommendations?
Hi max
Thanks for your response it was really useful. The subjects I chose in the end were sociology, bio, eco.I chose them late due to personal reasons and I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do in the future so I just picked subjects I liked. In terms of what I want to do in the future, i was hoping for a financial sector type of job. Any recommendations?

Any specific role in the finance sector? The sector is pretty big and from the top of my head I can list 10 different roles alone, each having their own specific requirements.
On the up side, most jobs in the sector won't require you to have a specific degree or A Levels. The ones that do would require A Level Maths and/or a quantitative degree e.g. maths, engineering, physics, actuarial science, economics, etc. All quantitiative degrees from knowledge will require at least A Level Maths, which you don't have. I personally recommend studying A Level Maths because it would open a lot of doors in terms of degree choices, but that's only if you like doing a quantitative degree or something in STEM.

The important thing about any role in finace is that you have the professional qualification suited and specific for the role. Most of these qualifications won't require you to have a specific degree or any prior qualifications.
Those that do would be the CFA, accounting (which you're fine if you just got A Levels), quants (CQF in particular, for the UK), and actuary (IFoA for the UK). The CFA would accept you with a degree in any subject so long you apply within a certain timeframe upon graduating.

If you can be a lot more specific with what you're looking for, I can help further.

Quick Reply

Latest