The Student Room Group

I’m not sure on what A-Levels to pick

Hi I’m planning on doing law hopefully at uni, I had picked out my A-Levels however 2 of them clash and now I’m not sure what to pick I’ve chosen History and Ict however I’m not sure whether to do business, biology or religion. Which would look best on my application?
Reply 1
Original post by Zuzi_138
Hi I’m planning on doing law hopefully at uni, I had picked out my A-Levels however 2 of them clash and now I’m not sure what to pick I’ve chosen History and Ict however I’m not sure whether to do business, biology or religion. Which would look best on my application?

u dont need any specific subjects for law but essay subjects r useful for prep on the amount of essays and reading ull do later.

history is a good choice i would also say consider english lit/politics but if ur rly against that dont stress however it is helpful i would say especially eng lit.

probably either business or religion would look best as they are essay based - i would sway towards religion just because there is more scope for discussion there in ur personal statement if you find it interesting. for instance how religion affects the law and if it should etcetc

ict wouldnt help you for law i would consider doing at least 2 essay based subjects so if ict is your 3rd option just for enjoyment i would say thats fine and go for it though :smile:

hope this helps !
Reply 2
Hi! I think that all three of these subjects are great facilitating subjects to do a law degree. Go with what you are the best at and also highly enjoy, to maximize your chance of success. A bit random but chat GPT is so helpful for advice too (obvs the student room is the best though).
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by m11m
u dont need any specific subjects for law but essay subjects r useful for prep on the amount of essays and reading ull do later.

history is a good choice i would also say consider english lit/politics but if ur rly against that dont stress however it is helpful i would say especially eng lit.

probably either business or religion would look best as they are essay based - i would sway towards religion just because there is more scope for discussion there in ur personal statement if you find it interesting. for instance how religion affects the law and if it should etcetc

ict wouldnt help you for law i would consider doing at least 2 essay based subjects so if ict is your 3rd option just for enjoyment i would say thats fine and go for it though :smile:

hope this helps !

Thank you I was planning on choosing English lit however it clashed with ict and I was planning on keeping I.T as a backup if law doesn’t work out, I’ll probably go with religion then. Thanks!
I don't think ict is going to be important for law but it's upto you.
History is great!
And if you want to pick amongst biology, religion and business, biology is going to look the most impressive on your application as a third a level. And it's not essay based but universities look at the sciences very favourably for law, so don't worry at all since you will have History which makes up for the essay.

If you want to go to a good Russel group, in that case you might replace ICT for English literature? Or maybe another science like physics or chemistry, or maybe psychology. Or you can do maths as well.
Reply 5
Original post by Glemon
Hi! I think that all three of these subjects are great facilitating subjects to do a law degree. Go with what you are the best at and also highly enjoy, to maximize your chance of success. A bit random but chat GPT is so helpful for advice too (obvs the student room is the best though).

Okay thank you also never knew that so I might try it see if I get something useful, thanks!
Reply 6
history, english literature and politics go well together for law, i would say in your case religion
Reply 7
Original post by Zuzi_138
Thank you I was planning on choosing English lit however it clashed with ict and I was planning on keeping I.T as a backup if law doesn’t work out, I’ll probably go with religion then. Thanks!

i would say pick english over ict as im not sure what you could do with just ict as most stem courses req 2 stem subjects?
Reply 9
Original post by lilian768
I don't think ict is going to be important for law but it's upto you.
History is great!
And if you want to pick amongst biology, religion and business, biology is going to look the most impressive on your application as a third a level. And it's not essay based but universities look at the sciences very favourably for law, so don't worry at all since you will have History which makes up for the essay.

If you want to go to a good Russel group, in that case you might replace ICT for English literature? Or maybe another science like physics or chemistry, or maybe psychology. Or you can do maths as well.

Thanks, I’m not sure about taking any other sciences as I’m not too good at maths and other subjects like that but I might try swap my ict to English and hope I can get into the class.
Reply 10
Original post by m11m
i would say pick english over ict as im not sure what you could do with just ict as most stem courses req 2 stem subjects?

Okay, thanks I’ll probably try and switch it then.
Reply 11
Original post by megan_xay
history, english literature and politics go well together for law, i would say in your case religion

My school doesn’t offer politics I would have probably chosen it if they did, I will probably choose English instead of ICT.

Quick Reply

Latest