The Student Room Group

How much free time do you have in a master's degree?

Hey there! This is maybe an obvious question, but I was just hoping to confirm it from anybody who might have had some experience in an MA degree. I'm planning do study one in journalism, this September. Also, however, I'm hoping to start a band for fun, that year, as I've been in one during my final year at University, and I've had a great time. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how easy that might be to do during an MA degree? Like are you locked down 1000% of the time with studying, recovering from study and organising your career?
Original post by Cdoc007
Hey there! This is maybe an obvious question, but I was just hoping to confirm it from anybody who might have had some experience in an MA degree. I'm planning do study one in journalism, this September. Also, however, I'm hoping to start a band for fun, that year, as I've been in one during my final year at University, and I've had a great time. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how easy that might be to do during an MA degree? Like are you locked down 1000% of the time with studying, recovering from study and organising your career?

Hey!
I can share that the ease of starting a band while pursuing an MA degree in journalism can vary from person to person. It depends on factors such as your time management skills, workload, and personal commitments. While it may be challenging to balance your studies, recovering from study, and organizing your career, it is certainly possible to engage in extracurricular activities like starting a band. Many students successfully juggle multiple responsibilities and interests during their postgraduate studies. It's important to note that finding the right balance may require some sacrifices or adjustments in your schedule. Some students may choose to dedicate more time to their academic pursuits to achieve the highest possible grades, while others may prioritize their creative endeavors alongside their studies.

Based on my personal experience as an MA Design Management student, I have been able to balance my studies, part-time job, fellowship, and social life simultaneously. However, I understand that if I were to drop one of these commitments, such as my part-time job or fellowship, I may have the potential to achieve a higher distinction in my studies. It's all about finding the right balance that suits your personal goals and aspirations.

It's important to assess your own capabilities, priorities, and time management skills before committing to starting a band alongside your MA studies. Consider how much time and energy you can realistically allocate to your band activities without jeopardizing your academic performance or personal well-being. Additionally, it can be helpful to reach out to current or former students in the journalism program you plan to join and inquire about their experiences. They may be able to provide more specific insights into the workload and demands of the program, as well as offer advice on managing extracurricular activities.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 2
MSc Psychology student here. I stopped working at Christmas, and, although I would say I have had SOME time where I have not been studying, this is pretty infrequent. I have to say on my course the workload was pretty relentless. I had to do 8 assignments in the term each different. A couple of essays, a literature review, neuroscience practical report, quantitative analysis, thematic analysis on qualitative research, a social psych blog post, and also get to grips with some psychometric testing etc. It was difficult to say I had much time to recover and I did feel the stress creep in even without a job towards the end of the assignment and taught period. I am now writing my thesis, for which I had to obtain ethical approval through a board (honestly a pain in the ass), then conduct a focus group with a group of students, and now at the stage where I will have to transcribe that data and code it in a qualitative methods style. I still need to complete a large literature review, and methodology section, then interpret the results. I am far from finished. That's just to give you an indication of how difficult this year has been. But, if you focus on the course and you put the effort in, you can do well. I wouldn't recommend working much when the work starts rolling in.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending