The Student Room Group

Starting full time job and part time masters

Hi,
I got a full time job starting in September and a part time distance learning masters degree starting at the same time. I was wondering how others have experienced this? Is it manageable and no social life? I am worried its a but too much on the plate and I will be very stressed.
Original post by Lolacupecake01
Hi,
I got a full time job starting in September and a part time distance learning masters degree starting at the same time. I was wondering how others have experienced this? Is it manageable and no social life? I am worried its a but too much on the plate and I will be very stressed.

Hi @Lolacupecake01

I would say that studying part time and having a job is doable, but while studying I would always recommend putting your degree first and fitting work around that. Maybe before you start your job in September you could plan out how an average week would look while working and studying, and also try and add in elements of your social life and free time. This could help you to visualize how your week will be, and if you think it is attainable.

I would try not to worry for now, as even with planning, you won't know how things will turn out until you try. But I would say that putting your degree first is my best advice, as you are only studying for a short time and want to get the most out of your studies.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Lolacupecake01

I would say that studying part time and having a job is doable, but while studying I would always recommend putting your degree first and fitting work around that. Maybe before you start your job in September you could plan out how an average week would look while working and studying, and also try and add in elements of your social life and free time. This could help you to visualize how your week will be, and if you think it is attainable.

I would try not to worry for now, as even with planning, you won't know how things will turn out until you try. But I would say that putting your degree first is my best advice, as you are only studying for a short time and want to get the most out of your studies.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the reply. The full time role that I will be starting in sept is a graduate scheme. I had asked my employer about doing a part time masters, which they said they can't give me any days or compressed hours due to fixed training. However, my part time masters is a distance learning course, so my employer is happy with it as it doesnt impact my work hours. Thanks for the advice i definitely believe I can leave some times for social. I am honestly just really overwhelmed as I just recently graduated this month and the thought of moving on soo fast with a huge responsibility of a full time job and masters is sorta scary. I know that it will be difficult but manageable. I initially wanted to do a master degree and defer my graduate scheme offer, but my employer said it was impossible because of how competitive it is. So I thought I could do my masters part time. I just dont want to get bogged down with work and masters, still want to leave time for friends.
Reply 3
Hi @Lolacupecake01

I would say that studying part time and having a job is doable, but while studying I would always recommend putting your degree first and fitting work around that.

That sounds like very dangerous advice if someone is able to get graduate level work.

Its much easier to postpone a masters or recover from making a bit of a mess of it than messing up a job/ career opening.

Doing a good job and gaining skills is usually far more significant for future prospects than a masters degree.
Hi Emily,

Thanks for the reply. The full time role that I will be starting in sept is a graduate scheme. I had asked my employer about doing a part time masters, which they said they can't give me any days or compressed hours due to fixed training. However, my part time masters is a distance learning course, so my employer is happy with it as it doesnt impact my work hours. Thanks for the advice i definitely believe I can leave some times for social. I am honestly just really overwhelmed as I just recently graduated this month and the thought of moving on soo fast with a huge responsibility of a full time job and masters is sorta scary. I know that it will be difficult but manageable. I initially wanted to do a master degree and defer my graduate scheme offer, but my employer said it was impossible because of how competitive it is. So I thought I could do my masters part time. I just dont want to get bogged down with work and masters, still want to leave time for friends.

Hi @Lolacupecake01

I understand the stress around trying to fit everything in while also being productive with your work and education. And moving straight into work after finishing your degree can be very fast paced - but congratulations on finding graduate work so soon!

I think a lot of your time management will be a bit of trial and error, and finding your feet as you start working. There may be times when the workload could be overwhelming or require more time out of your week, but you won't know for sure until you try.

I stand by my original advice too in that you could start small and start planning your week/schedule as to how you want it to look and trial this out when you get started. But it sounds like you've got some great opportunities lined up and you should also try and look forward to starting these new chapters!

Best of luck and all the best for starting your job and your masters,
Emily
I work full time as an engineer and am studying part time for an MEng. I'm in the post grad phase of it and finding it a challenge but enjoyable. It's important to manage your spare time and study time balance but it's entirely doable if you are disciplined.

I have a social life and I even get to sleep!
Hi @Lolacupecake01

I understand the stress around trying to fit everything in while also being productive with your work and education. And moving straight into work after finishing your degree can be very fast paced - but congratulations on finding graduate work so soon!

I think a lot of your time management will be a bit of trial and error, and finding your feet as you start working. There may be times when the workload could be overwhelming or require more time out of your week, but you won't know for sure until you try.

I stand by my original advice too in that you could start small and start planning your week/schedule as to how you want it to look and trial this out when you get started. But it sounds like you've got some great opportunities lined up and you should also try and look forward to starting these new chapters!

Best of luck and all the best for starting your job and your masters,
Emily

Hi Emily,
Thank you so much for the reply. This makes me feel better. I am definitely going to try the trial and error method and see what works. Hopefully, I will find a manageable method.
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
I work full time as an engineer and am studying part time for an MEng. I'm in the post grad phase of it and finding it a challenge but enjoyable. It's important to manage your spare time and study time balance but it's entirely doable if you are disciplined.

I have a social life and I even get to sleep!

Glad to hear it from someone who had this experience. Definitely makes me feel better.
Hi,

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer of studying a postgraduate degree :smile:

I worked full time whilst studying for my master's degree so I know it can seem daunting, however, here are a few ways I managed to juggle the two :smile:

Keeping an organised diary and knowing what was coming up in my personal life, work life and uni really helped me break down my time and prioritise what was important. Unfortunately, you can't be doing all things at all times with everyone, but knowing what was actually meaningful helped me organise work and life.

It also helps to know that this period of study isn't forever, it's all temporary. So making sacrifices seems less heavy :smile:

Good luck,
T :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Teesside University
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer of studying a postgraduate degree :smile:

I worked full time whilst studying for my master's degree so I know it can seem daunting, however, here are a few ways I managed to juggle the two :smile:

Keeping an organised diary and knowing what was coming up in my personal life, work life and uni really helped me break down my time and prioritise what was important. Unfortunately, you can't be doing all things at all times with everyone, but knowing what was actually meaningful helped me organise work and life.

It also helps to know that this period of study isn't forever, it's all temporary. So making sacrifices seems less heavy :smile:

Good luck,
T :smile:

Hi :smile:,

Thanks for the reply,
I am planning to buy a planner to help me make a schedule. I hope to be very organised and planned. Its great to see that it is possible. Everytime i tell someone or even thought of doing it, people just tell me that it will be too stressful and too much and try to scare me off. But i know that with good project management, anything is possible.
Hi :smile:,

Thanks for the reply,
I am planning to buy a planner to help me make a schedule. I hope to be very organised and planned. Its great to see that it is possible. Everytime i tell someone or even thought of doing it, people just tell me that it will be too stressful and too much and try to scare me off. But i know that with good project management, anything is possible.

It is hard and for many people it may be that the thought, and often the reality, of studying full-time and working full-time will be too stressful. However, if you are willing to make sacrifices (know when to say no!), be disciplined (making sure you study and get your assignments in on time), and try to have fun along the way then you can certainly achieve both. It won't be easy by any means - but it is doable :smile:

If you find that it does become too much you can speak to your university - they may be able to offer you support and/or allow you to study part-time - so keep that in mind :smile:

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending