The Student Room Group

Masters

Hi guys,
I just wanted to ask what/if any RG universities would accept me coming from a Leicester university economics BSC degree? As I am thinking of applying but I am not sure what would turn down my offer immediately. I’m predicted a 1st and my personal statement/recommendation letter is good.

Thank you
Original post by Ininat
Hi guys,
I just wanted to ask what/if any RG universities would accept me coming from a Leicester university economics BSC degree? As I am thinking of applying but I am not sure what would turn down my offer immediately. I’m predicted a 1st and my personal statement/recommendation letter is good.

Thank you

As far as I know, most top end RG unis would accept you provided you did a degree from a recognised university and you meet the grade requirements.
A first in a quantitative economics degree from Leicester should be more than sufficient for most master's degree courses in economics or something similar.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
As far as I know, most top end RG unis would accept you provided you did a degree from a recognised university and you meet the grade requirements.
A first in a quantitative economics degree from Leicester should be more than sufficient for most master's degree courses in economics or something similar.

would the likes of Sheffield and york be in my reach to apply? And then maybe the likes of leeds/Bristol (for example) be out of my reach? Thank you for replying
Original post by Ininat
would the likes of Sheffield and york be in my reach to apply? And then maybe the likes of leeds/Bristol (for example) be out of my reach? Thank you for replying

I would like to say if you are able to secure a 1st class, even Oxford should be in your reach.
Leeds, Bristol, York, Sheffiled should all be fine with your degree.

The things I would be mindful of is whether the degree course page specifically say your degree needs to be from a top end uni. In most cases, they are not likely to ask of that for applications for master's degree courses (you might get some for PhDs).
However, whether the specific uni/admissions department would accept your application in practice is another matter. I cannot tell you for certain how things will turn out.
Reply 4
I would like to say if you are able to secure a 1st class, even Oxford should be in your reach.
Leeds, Bristol, York, Sheffiled should all be fine with your degree.

The things I would be mindful of is whether the degree course page specifically say your degree needs to be from a top end uni. In most cases, they are not likely to ask of that for applications for master's degree courses (you might get some for PhDs).
However, whether the specific uni/admissions department would accept your application in practice is another matter. I cannot tell you for certain how things will turn out.

No I understand thank you for your help, of course if someone wanted to go to the same uni as me for masters they would be picked rather than me. But is there anything I could do that may help boost my application to maybe have a better shot?
Original post by Ininat
No I understand thank you for your help, of course if someone wanted to go to the same uni as me for masters they would be picked rather than me. But is there anything I could do that may help boost my application to maybe have a better shot?

I can't really say. Usually you have your personal statement and transcript as requirements for your application. They might ask for graduate entrance tests, but that's at specific unis.

The best thing you can do is to spice up your personal statement. Things that can stand out include:

Career aspirations, especially if they're research related

Why you're really passionate about economics (assuming your master's is in economics)

Which area of economics you're keen to study more in

What do you do outside of your studies that is economics related?

What do you read outside of your studies that's economics related?

Have you written any research papers that are worth noting?

Reply 6
I can't really say. Usually you have your personal statement and transcript as requirements for your application. They might ask for graduate entrance tests, but that's at specific unis.

The best thing you can do is to spice up your personal statement. Things that can stand out include:

Career aspirations, especially if they're research related

Why you're really passionate about economics (assuming your master's is in economics)

Which area of economics you're keen to study more in

What do you do outside of your studies that is economics related?

What do you read outside of your studies that's economics related?

Have you written any research papers that are worth noting?

Thank you very much for your information, I will make sure to save this - thank you for your time and patience again 😊
Hey @Ininat

Best of luck with your applications and search for a Masters course - I just wanted to mention (in case you hadn't heard or seen) that the University of Leicester offers a 20% alumni discount on our postgraduate courses- https://le.ac.uk/study/postgraduates/fees-funding/scholarships-discounts/alumni

We might not have the course for you but always good to know where you can make a saving!!

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask away :smile:

-Alisha (UK Student Recruitment Officer, Postgraduate) and Leicester alumni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending