The Student Room Group

poor score in one of my modules :,(

I was looking through my scores for semester 2 and I was really happy at first getting in the high 70 and 60 range for some modules I thought I was bad in. turns out for one of my modules (my favourite module as well :frown: ) I ended up scoring a 54% in my practical write up. it's also worth 60% of the module! I still have the practical lab exam left and I usually score pretty well in those, around the 70 mark, but it has really disheartened me and made me anxious to score highly on the last exam. so far I was on track to get 69% for the 1st year and I know this will bring me down. I also haven't been given grades for the 3 online MCQ exams I've done, and although I usually do well in them I'm now doubting myself as I thought I did well in this write up! I'm just worried that I'll be pulled down to a 2:2 because of this and even though 1st year doesn't count I still need a 2:1 to apply for good placements next year. there is no real question just a bit of a vent I suppose 😔
Original post by Spelunker
I was looking through my scores for semester 2 and I was really happy at first getting in the high 70 and 60 range for some modules I thought I was bad in. turns out for one of my modules (my favourite module as well :frown: ) I ended up scoring a 54% in my practical write up. it's also worth 60% of the module! I still have the practical lab exam left and I usually score pretty well in those, around the 70 mark, but it has really disheartened me and made me anxious to score highly on the last exam. so far I was on track to get 69% for the 1st year and I know this will bring me down. I also haven't been given grades for the 3 online MCQ exams I've done, and although I usually do well in them I'm now doubting myself as I thought I did well in this write up! I'm just worried that I'll be pulled down to a 2:2 because of this and even though 1st year doesn't count I still need a 2:1 to apply for good placements next year. there is no real question just a bit of a vent I suppose 😔

One assignment in a single module won't be enough to pull your average down over 10% unless you got 0...a 54% will just probably place you solidly in the 2:1 range (rather than borderline 1st).

Go through the feedback you had for that assignment and see where you could've improved things, then take that onboard for the next assignment.

Overall a relatively minor thing - people have done far worse on a larger scale in first year than you have and can still come out well in the end. And early enough in your degree that you have plenty of time to course correct and take onboard feedback.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
One assignment in a single module won't be enough to pull your average down over 10% unless you got 0...a 54% will just probably place you solidly in the 2:1 range (rather than borderline 1st).

Go through the feedback you had for that assignment and see where you could've improved things, then take that onboard for the next assignment.

Overall a relatively minor thing - people have done far worse on a larger scale in first year than you have and can still come out well in the end. And early enough in your degree that you have plenty of time to course correct and take onboard feedback.

thanks I'm a bit dramatic when it comes to test scores so when I saw the 54 after all the better scores it was quite shocking. yeah probably in the end it will be fine, I have skimmed through the feedback and it seems I didn't fully understand what needed to be included in the assignment :redface: I'm horrible when it comes to looking at scores/feedback early (I just hate being disappointed lol) so I've missed the initial 1:1 feedback window but I'm working on being better with that and will try and take this on board for next time!
Original post by Spelunker
thanks I'm a bit dramatic when it comes to test scores so when I saw the 54 after all the better scores it was quite shocking. yeah probably in the end it will be fine, I have skimmed through the feedback and it seems I didn't fully understand what needed to be included in the assignment :redface: I'm horrible when it comes to looking at scores/feedback early (I just hate being disappointed lol) so I've missed the initial 1:1 feedback window but I'm working on being better with that and will try and take this on board for next time!

That's probably something to work on then - separating your results from your personal sense of self and recognizing them as just feedback, and an opportunity to improve where they fall below expectations :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending