The Student Room Group

conflicted on university decision

Hello,
I have just finished my Alevel exams and I'm currently waiting for results day. I have firmed the University of Salford to do Psychology. However, I feel like I may have some regrets. I had fairly high predicted grades and applied to a range of Russell groups. I was leaning towards the university of Manchester. However, I thought that I may end up with poor mental health if I attend this university. Therefore, I firmed Salford. However, I feel like I should have firmed Manchester. I feel like whilst it may be competitive- I may actually thrive there better if the teaching and support is really good. But at the same time I feel like its not possible since I have already accepted Salford. Plus, I feel like Salford may be better mentally but I know stress is evident everywhere so that isn't a factor that is highly influential in making me choose a university. But I also feel like I haven't got any insight from students doing psychology at Salford. Due to this I'm currently looking for advice on what I should do? If anyone has any similar experiences? and if possible, If anyone does psychology at either university.

Thank you
Have you looked at the NSS results for psychology courses at each university on discover uni?

You can swap your replies still
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have you looked at the NSS results for psychology courses at each university on discover uni?

You can swap your replies still

Hi, Thanks for the response.
I have looked through the results for both universities and they would differ in certain areas. Manchester would have a higher student satisfaction rate. but Salford has a higher rate of support and feedback on the course.

I was told I can can apply for Manchester on Results day but I think I will need to research further on both courses.
Original post by psych0l0gy
Hi, Thanks for the response.
I have looked through the results for both universities and they would differ in certain areas. Manchester would have a higher student satisfaction rate. but Salford has a higher rate of support and feedback on the course.

I was told I can can apply for Manchester on Results day but I think I will need to research further on both courses.

That doesn’t sound like the teaching and support and Manchester is “really good” or even average tbh

This is one of the worst NSS scores I’ve seen https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007798/209/Full-time/
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
That doesn’t sound like the teaching and support and Manchester is “really good” or even average tbh

This is one of the worst NSS scores I’ve seen https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007798/209/Full-time/

I would say the student satisfaction rate is average. but if you look at the teaching and student feedback its actually low. Salfords has a lower student satisfaction but a higher rate for teaching and support. But I do think Im keeping an open mind since the NSS scores are influenced due to covid which did impact students. So Im unaware if the overall scores for when I attend university will be higher/lower/or the same
I would say the student satisfaction rate is average. but if you look at the teaching and student feedback its actually low. Salfords has a lower student satisfaction but a higher rate for teaching and support. But I do think Im keeping an open mind since the NSS scores are influenced due to covid which did impact students. So Im unaware if the overall scores for when I attend university will be higher/lower/or the same

Have you spoken to students on the course at each university?
there’s usually a student union society you can contact
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to students on the course at each university?
there’s usually a student union society you can contact

Theres not much to find on Manchester. But a few students online spoken about their experiences and recommended it.
On the University of Salfords website- two psychology students were interviewed and shared their experiences. So currently, I might lean towards Salford. Especially since i need to consider the fact that i can always do my doctorate in another university with a higher student satisfaction.
Hello,
I have just finished my Alevel exams and I'm currently waiting for results day. I have firmed the University of Salford to do Psychology. However, I feel like I may have some regrets. I had fairly high predicted grades and applied to a range of Russell groups. I was leaning towards the university of Manchester. However, I thought that I may end up with poor mental health if I attend this university. Therefore, I firmed Salford. However, I feel like I should have firmed Manchester. I feel like whilst it may be competitive- I may actually thrive there better if the teaching and support is really good. But at the same time I feel like its not possible since I have already accepted Salford. Plus, I feel like Salford may be better mentally but I know stress is evident everywhere so that isn't a factor that is highly influential in making me choose a university. But I also feel like I haven't got any insight from students doing psychology at Salford. Due to this I'm currently looking for advice on what I should do? If anyone has any similar experiences? and if possible, If anyone does psychology at either university.

Thank you

Hey @psych0l0gy,

Its perfectly normal to feel nerves at this point in the year - lots of students are wondering about their decisions, and thinking about whether they've made the right choices. You're doing the right thing by looking into each University critically and thinking about where you'll enjoy/suceed the most - the NSS scores are a great way of doing this, which I can see you've already done below! Have you been to open days/visit days at both? They can be a good way of seeing how you feel when you're on campus by giving you an idea if you can see yourself there. We've just had our last open day recently, but we do have campus tours throughout July that you'd be more than welcome to book onto!

I think its important to look at the modules taught at both too, and if they're actually going to cover what you're interested in - both of us list our modules and content taught in them on our websites, which is another resource for you to help with your decisions! We do also have the Unibuddy Chat with our Students option - at the moment we only have Psychology of Sport and Counselling and Psychotherapy on there for the Psychology/Counselling subject areas, but they're still current students who'd be happy to have a chat with you about their course and why they chose Salford!

I hope that helps with your decision - you're always welcome to drop us a message or ask any questions, I'm happy to help :biggrin:
All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Reply 8
Original post by University of Salford
Hey @psych0l0gy,

Its perfectly normal to feel nerves at this point in the year - lots of students are wondering about their decisions, and thinking about whether they've made the right choices. You're doing the right thing by looking into each University critically and thinking about where you'll enjoy/suceed the most - the NSS scores are a great way of doing this, which I can see you've already done below! Have you been to open days/visit days at both? They can be a good way of seeing how you feel when you're on campus by giving you an idea if you can see yourself there. We've just had our last open day recently, but we do have campus tours throughout July that you'd be more than welcome to book onto!

I think its important to look at the modules taught at both too, and if they're actually going to cover what you're interested in - both of us list our modules and content taught in them on our websites, which is another resource for you to help with your decisions! We do also have the Unibuddy Chat with our Students option - at the moment we only have Psychology of Sport and Counselling and Psychotherapy on there for the Psychology/Counselling subject areas, but they're still current students who'd be happy to have a chat with you about their course and why they chose Salford!

I hope that helps with your decision - you're always welcome to drop us a message or ask any questions, I'm happy to help :biggrin:
All the best,
Becky

Hello,
Thank you for the response- It has been helpful.
Fortunately, I have come to the overall conclusion to attend Salford. I guess nerves did get the best of me- which of course is normal. Looking at NSS scores and interviews taken by students on the website has helped me reach this decision. I do feel like I will succeed well in salford especially looking at the resources provided by its Library and other study areas. However, I do think having limited knowledge/insight onto the actual course may cause me to feel more nervous. I would like to ask if its possible for me to email to speak to anyone from the psychology department so I may ask them about the course?
However, besides from this, Salford will be my first choice university.
Hello,
Thank you for the response- It has been helpful.
Fortunately, I have come to the overall conclusion to attend Salford. I guess nerves did get the best of me- which of course is normal. Looking at NSS scores and interviews taken by students on the website has helped me reach this decision. I do feel like I will succeed well in salford especially looking at the resources provided by its Library and other study areas. However, I do think having limited knowledge/insight onto the actual course may cause me to feel more nervous. I would like to ask if its possible for me to email to speak to anyone from the psychology department so I may ask them about the course?
However, besides from this, Salford will be my first choice university.

Hi @psych0l0gy,

Ah I'm so glad that I've helped! You're definitely doing the right thing by looking into each university in detail - its three years of your life, you absolutely want to make sure you're getting exactly what you want! I'd be more than happy to find you some contact details for our Psychology team - if you can drop us a DM on here, I'll send you over our programme leaders details so you can have a chat with him :biggrin:

All the best,
Becky

Quick Reply

Latest