The Student Room Group

Is Swansea or Sussex better?

This is Yashna from India. I am holding an unconditional offer letter from both Sussex and Swansea university for an MSc in Accounting and Finance but I am confused about which university to choose. So can anyone help me with which university to choose based on good job opportunities after completion of the course, weather, ranking of university for the above-mentioned course, and cost of living when comparing both places?
Reply 1
Swansea is likely to be a lot cheaper.

What is your motivation for considering these masters degrees? Doing masters in A +f isn’t really a thing in the U.K. so it’s hard for anyone to comment on employer perceptions and employability.
Both are in the UK so forget about weather. Also Swansea is in Wales which is an extremely primitive and poor area. Can't comment on Sussex. I would suggest Oxford if you can get into there. I hear that is very good but that is just hearsay.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
This is Yashna from India. I am holding an unconditional offer letter from both Sussex and Swansea university for an MSc in Accounting and Finance but I am confused about which university to choose. So can anyone help me with which university to choose based on good job opportunities after completion of the course, weather, ranking of university for the above-mentioned course, and cost of living when comparing both places?

I go to Sussex Uni. I'm currently studying Accounting & Finance, though BSc. I'm on my placement year. I feel partly qualfied to answer your question.

I would say do not come to Sussex uni. The cost of living in Sussex is extortionate, and the kind of value you get for your money is also atrocious. Some of my friends pay £200/week and their property management agencies can't be bothered to sort out basic living things like black mold, dampness, etc. Honestly I have seen some nightmare stories.

Not to mention that the actual facilites at Sussex Business School are lacking where they matter the most. For example - for my placement year I was offered no help, apart from basic tutorials such as "how to make a CV" (those were adequate, at best). Furthermore the teaching quality isn't the best. Now I'm no racist, and I love a bit of diversity, but some of the lecturers on the course have extremely heavy accents - which are obviously hard to understand. Combined with the fact there is quite a bit of technical knowledge on the course - it's virtually impossible to understand what the lecturer is actually saying! I would understand if this was the case with one or two modules - but this has been about half of my modules every year. To the point I feel I am paying above £9000 for a bunch of glorified powerpoint presentations. You will need to be very proficient in self study to score well in this university.

Now, the weather during summer is fantastic! Lots of things to do - Brighton beach is lovely and brighton itself is packed with independent restaurants, venues and nighclubs. Night life is practically one of the best in the south coast from what I've heard & experienced. Outside of summer - well, now thats a different story. Expect strong winds, lots of rain and generally, unpleasant weather.

Unfortunately I haven't graduated yet so cannot provide information on graduate employablity.

Congratulations on your offers and I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 4
Original post by Laomedeia
Both are in the UK so forget about weather. Also Swansea is in Wales which is an extremely primitive and poor area. Can't comment on Sussex. I would suggest Oxford if you can get into there. I hear that is very good but that is just hearsay.

Not sure I agree with "extremely primitive and poor" 🤣. If you're from Monaco, then you're probably right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending