The Student Room Group

Bad marks on first masters essays

I’ve just got back my 3 january essays and I only got 58 for one of them. It’s worth 100% of the module as well.
It’s left me feeling rubbish and like I shouldn’t be on the course. My other grades were slightly higher but still not amazing. I applied for an extension based on the hours I was made to work over Xmas in my retail job but I was denied.
The feedback is detailed and I’m going to discuss it with the markers but right now that’s the last thing I want to do.
Any advice on getting some confidence back moving forward?
Reply 1
The key to being confident going into the next assessments is getting actionable feedback so that you feel like you are in a position to improve things. It sounds as though you have that, or soon will have.

In terms of extensions, no institution in the land is going to grant them because you were working. Your course is expected to take priority over any work, and if it doesn't then the institution does not see that as an unforeseen circumstance worthy of mitigation, but instead as poor planning on your part. Harsh in sme ways, but that is the reality.
Reply 2
In terms of moving forward, you should start with accepting the grades you have been given and dissect the feedback to work out where you can make improvements on future assessments. Were there any common themes to the feedback (e.g. poor/patchy referencing, weak essay structure, a too informal writing style)? Generic criticisms of this kind are relatively easy to address.
Hello,

I'm sorry you are feeling disheartened about your recent grades. It is understandable to feel that way, especially when you have put in the effort and faced challenges like working extra hours over the holidays. But firstly, I would suggest you prioritise academics over part-time work. Meanwhile, it is essential to remember that this can be taken as an opportunity to reflect on the feedback given and your priorities. Take the time to carefully review your feedback, seek clarification if needed, and do not be afraid to reach out for support.
When I went through a similar situation with a 50% essay and got a 58, I turned it into an opportunity for growth. I found that engaging with university study help and library services immensely helped me enhance my writing skills. They provided valuable insights and resources that significantly impacted my subsequent assignments. I felt more confident with their help. One thing I keep reminding myself is that setbacks are part of our journey. It is up to us how to make the most of the situation and bounce back by learning from them. Try to keep that in mind and take it one step at a time.

Cheers,
MSc International Business student.
Original post by laurag42
I’ve just got back my 3 january essays and I only got 58 for one of them. It’s worth 100% of the module as well.
It’s left me feeling rubbish and like I shouldn’t be on the course. My other grades were slightly higher but still not amazing. I applied for an extension based on the hours I was made to work over Xmas in my retail job but I was denied.
The feedback is detailed and I’m going to discuss it with the markers but right now that’s the last thing I want to do.
Any advice on getting some confidence back moving forward?

Hi,
I feel exactly like you right now. I got one of my essay back yesterday, and scored just 53. It was 100% of my module as well. I was and I am so disappointed, and this has demotivated me so much. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! 🙂 I am trying to think about the future and a way of improving, instead of keep thinking about how bad I have done. I am trying to take it as a lesson to do better 🙂 I hope you will feel better soon, remember, grades do not define us.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,
I feel exactly like you right now. I got one of my essay back yesterday, and scored just 53. It was 100% of my module as well. I was and I am so disappointed, and this has demotivated me so much. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! 🙂 I am trying to think about the future and a way of improving, instead of keep thinking about how bad I have done. I am trying to take it as a lesson to do better 🙂 I hope you will feel better soon, remember, grades do not define us.

hey! I’m a week on from writing this and I do feel better! I’ve had time to let it go a bit but also to look at the feedback again in a better headspace. I hope you feel better about your mark too. It really isn’t the end of the world! Thanks so much for your reply 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending