The Student Room Group

maths mocks

my maths teacher made my recent maths mock so insanely difficult like i get first of all they test us on topics we haven’t been taught in the mocks but the majority of the paper we haven’t ever covered and i’m not even joking when i say every question was a grade 9 question you would expect to see as the last question of the paper like it was ridiculous especially since the head of maths who wrote it taught top set directly to the paper during their lessons so most of them scored really well and there is only top set and bottom set at my school and i’m in bottom set and i’ve been doing past papers for a few week and i normally get about 80-90% occasionally higher but i could only confidently do about 25% of the questions and the rest of my class are so bad at maths they are all being switched to foundation which they can barley pass and i’ve asked to be moved up because my teacher only really teaches up to grade 5/6 content but they said no as their are apparently no set changes in year 11 so i just don’t understand why they made the paper so difficult like if they wanted a challenging paper they could have used the specimen papers but the specimen papers looked easy compared to what they gave us idk where the questions are from either because they aren’t past papers (not the 2023 either) and i’ve tried searching for them but they aren’t anywhere and it’s really frustrating as i’m now predicted a 5/6 when i’m literally getting grade 8/9 in a normal paper does anyone know why they made the papers so hard ?
Original post by annabel whittle
my maths teacher made my recent maths mock so insanely difficult like i get first of all they test us on topics we haven’t been taught in the mocks but the majority of the paper we haven’t ever covered and i’m not even joking when i say every question was a grade 9 question you would expect to see as the last question of the paper like it was ridiculous especially since the head of maths who wrote it taught top set directly to the paper during their lessons so most of them scored really well and there is only top set and bottom set at my school and i’m in bottom set and i’ve been doing past papers for a few week and i normally get about 80-90% occasionally higher but i could only confidently do about 25% of the questions and the rest of my class are so bad at maths they are all being switched to foundation which they can barley pass and i’ve asked to be moved up because my teacher only really teaches up to grade 5/6 content but they said no as their are apparently no set changes in year 11 so i just don’t understand why they made the paper so difficult like if they wanted a challenging paper they could have used the specimen papers but the specimen papers looked easy compared to what they gave us idk where the questions are from either because they aren’t past papers (not the 2023 either) and i’ve tried searching for them but they aren’t anywhere and it’s really frustrating as i’m now predicted a 5/6 when i’m literally getting grade 8/9 in a normal paper does anyone know why they made the papers so hard ?

Well to see if you can manage the worst of the worst of questions. My school did the exact same. They compiled all the hardest questions into my mock and even got one from a different exam board. I got a B in the mock = thought it was a terrible reflection of what I was able to do and got 5 marks short of an A* in my final exam (A levels) so yeah I think they do it to scare you. When I did GCSE math it was no different. The grade boundaries are actually really low but I think they might want you ready just in case a grade inflation takes place or just a rlly bad paper comes your way.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Tulipbloom
Well to see if you can manage the worst of the worst of questions. My school did the exact same. They compiled all the hardest questions into my mock and even got one from a different exam board. I got a B in the mock = thought it was a terrible reflection of what I was able to do and got 5 marks short of an A* in my final exam (A levels) so yeah I think they do it to scare you. When I did GCSE math it was no different. The grade boundaries are actually really low but I think they might want you ready just in case a grade inflation takes place or just a rlly bad paper comes your way.

okay thank u! congrats on ur a level mark u did so well

Quick Reply

Latest